Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I like it.

Make sure you get pictures when everything is complete and the business is ready to open. That is when your artwork will really shine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
So the next time I get drunk and slam my head down on the bar I'll have you to thank for the concussion.At least I'd have the opportunity to enjoy your work up close. The pictures (Leos) look good. The videos are a great idea. You've come far. Nice work.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,938 Posts
So the next time I get drunk and slam my head down on the bar I'll have you to thank for the concussion.At least I'd have the opportunity to enjoy your work up close. The pictures (Leos) look good. The videos are a great idea. You've come far. Nice work.
You made me snort out a good laugh.:laughing:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
2 things - is that sealer going to cure and be harder then what we saw where you guy cut out the air bubble with the razor knife?

Do you think your guy introduced all those air bubbles by using a brush?

Watching the way he was brushing out that 2nd coat was making me cringe...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
2 things - is that sealer going to cure and be harder then what we saw where you guy cut out the air bubble with the razor knife?

Do you think your guy introduced all those air bubbles by using a brush?

Watching the way he was brushing out that 2nd coat was making me cringe...
The sealer gets rock hard. It cures out after 48 hours. It was not even 24 hours old when we cut, plus we heated it up with heat gun.

The air bubbles are from the concrete. The concrete was troweled only. So being as pourous as concrete is it releases alot of air when something gets laid on top of it and starts to penetrate a bit.

The brush is how you put this particular product on. Then when youre done brushing it on, you come and hit with a torch and it glasses right over. You can see all the bubbles in the sealer disappear immediately.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What brand of pigments did you use, and what were the ratios of colorant to cement?
Cant remember the exact brand off hand. The charcoal was %7 and the reddish one was close to that as well.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The sealer gets rock hard. It cures out after 48 hours. It was not even 24 hours old when we cut, plus we heated it up with heat gun.

The air bubbles are from the concrete. The concrete was troweled only. So being as pourous as concrete is it releases alot of air when something gets laid on top of it and starts to penetrate a bit.

The brush is how you put this particular product on. Then when youre done brushing it on, you come and hit with a torch and it glasses right over. You can see all the bubbles in the sealer disappear immediately.
ahh I got you, I thought the bubbles were in the sealer. :thumbsup: The concrete is off gasing into it.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Wonder if concrete counter tops are the next "big thing" of homebuilding. For kitchens, baths, etc. instead of granite or similiar products.

Lately, i've been seeing a lot of countertops that are poured concrete, mixed with fiberglass mulch, rebar and the such..

With the recent concerns due to the health problems related to granite, this is a viable alternative.

From what I've seen, concrete counter tops- up close- have incredible depth when looking at them; all kinds of things goin on. I was watching This Old House and there was a segment on how the process was done. The guy comes out to your house and creates a template based on specs and set up. Amazing.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What do you think about sealing the tops first to avoid the bubbles?
We did that on the black ones after the problems with the first red top. I sprayed my 2 part epoxy hybrid sealer on them, then sanded lightly to get a good mechanical bond.

It worked perfectly. We had zero issues with the already sealed tops when we applied the final sealer.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Nice big tops! I may have missed it but which sealer are you using? 2 part epoxy... eap? or 2k? I'm getting ready to take the penetrating cheng sealer off some tops in my house and ones i've sold and put on a nice topical film sealer. I'm looking at glaze n seal because i can get it out here and its not $300 a gallon. Any favorites?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nice big tops! I may have missed it but which sealer are you using? 2 part epoxy... eap? or 2k? I'm getting ready to take the penetrating cheng sealer off some tops in my house and ones i've sold and put on a nice topical film sealer. I'm looking at glaze n seal because i can get it out here and its not $300 a gallon. Any favorites?
Thanks rselectric!

duburban, Im using a 2 part epoxy. I've never tried the 2k though. Its called envirotex (sp?)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts