Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To convex a length of rim joist ya notch it on the backside, but how about to concave it? Do you notch the frontside and cover it up with benderboard? I've heard of soaking a joist in a swimming pool overnight. Does that work? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
To convex a length of rim joist ya notch it on the backside, but how about to concave it? Do you notch the frontside and cover it up with benderboard? I've heard of soaking a joist in a swimming pool overnight. Does that work? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Is it a rim joist or a boxing board?
if you can laminate 1X's it's easier,
but it all depends on how tight and
what's the function.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MAC, Do you have the other pics, or a link to the thread where you discussed that particular deck from maybe a year or so ago? I need to do a similar ground level, and was hoping to get some inspiration.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
MAC, Do you have the other pics,
Sure - Framing and Final.

4x4 posts, 4' oc
Landscape fabric...don't be cheap, buy the heavy duty stuff.
4x4 beams, 4' oc
2x4 joists, 16" oc
TimberTech TwinFinish in Cedar

Lil' backyard deck from '06, I'm actually heading back out this week to talk with them about a pergola over top.

Mac

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Wood will bend when wet or steamed, then clamped to hold shape. However when I have curves I do them like Mac's pic, just easier & faster as I'm sure most do also except the Boneman.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Redwood, that is cool as hell! Did you block between the joists and wrap the fascia around that or is the lam. fascia tying the joist ends together?

This was what I was talking about w/ solid blocking - cutting the shape out of 2x stock and mounting it doubled up on the flat -

Mac

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts