Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have a home that was built by a cop without a permit at all.
the elec is a big pile of wire shared natural all over boxes behind drywall all over.
3 elec have looked at it all say that they have never seen something so bad. is there a program or device that you can hock up to the panel that will trace out the circut and show them on the screen.
the head of the local ibew said there is but did not know how or were and i have not had luck searching for it.
the home is 4300 sq ft all of the outside walls are concrete panels with foam insulation the inside is done all top of the line to strip the rock and redo we are looking at over $150000 so if i can get the elec traced out and redone for $50000 i think it would be the way to go will be call up to the cities today to see if i can find some help thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope

The solution to this home is like the old Sherlock Holmes deduction, once you have eliminated all the possibilities and there is only one possible solution, then that is the solution.

No program, no easy way. The only way to find out is to start opening the walls and take a look and go from there.

What would a circuit tracer tell you? A wire goes from point A to point B, so what. You don't know if it's Romex or baling wire.

Get a price from a qualified electrician to abandon the old work and rewire.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did meet with a sparky today that said between irf and radio location set up he said that he can map it out as fare as were the runs are as for the rest of the problems a lot of hard work ahead.
we did kill power at the pole and put in a temp elec setup. he said he had never seen what i was looking for as fare as a computer program no luck

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
...... is there a program or device that you can hock up to the panel that will trace out the circut and show them on the screen.........

Build one and make billions of dollars.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If it was built without no permit, why weren't there inspections?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Inspectors usually inspect permitted work. :whistling
But he said it was built "without no permit" which I interpreted to mean that it was permitted. Perhaps he meant "with no permit".

Reactions: jlsconstruction

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a case of pay now pay then a lot of work that was not needed if it was done when it was built. i have a bet with the sparky that there will be over 400 lb of wire pulled out of it before it is right

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
How about a program you can hook up to a faucet and it will display where all the hot, cold, waste and vent lines are?

Or a program that you can hook up to your furnace that shows you on a computer where all the ducts and RAs are?

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
There's no app for that any more than there is an app that cures cancer.

Tear out and start over.

Curiosity prevails though, what was the reason you were called in? Problem with the electric? What were the symptoms?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
How about a program that I hook up to my wallet that tells me where my money goes? :laughing::jester:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
How about a program that I hook up to my wallet that tells me where my money goes? :laughing::jester:
Somehow $3 went to Leo and he refuses to pay. Now that it's been a few years, I can't provide details anymore. He still owes me $1 too...the deadbeat.:jester:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's no app for that any more than there is an app that cures cancer.

Tear out and start over.

Curiosity prevails though, what was the reason you were called in? Problem with the electric? What were the symptoms?
was doing a remodel when i found out that there was over 50 home runs in the house and started looking around did not take long to find out that the home need more then just new cabinets and a new bath.

i did get a call from a company that seen this post they make power management stuff they are working on making a tool to do what i need but stated it is a few year out.need is the mother of invention
keep in mind that the home is concrete and wire dose not pull throw concrete very well fix is more what it needs then gut:whistling

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
50 homeruns in that big of a house is nothin......I had to sort out 25 runs in a 800sq house, with 16 J boves in the attic. wouldnt have been bad if they would have loose stapled and not blown in 2ft of insulation AFTER they ran wire.

We get into these jobs alot, Boss is 70 and knows everyone so they call him for the crap the others aint smart enuff to figure out or just too lazy to do.

A couple good tracers and start in one room, power an oulet at the outlet and start back tracing and fixing as you go......a lighted borescope helps alot to find the hidden j boxes and you only need a 1/2in hole

Sounds like FUNNNNNNNN

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
..........i did get a call from a company that seen this post they make power management stuff they are working on making a tool to do what i need but stated it is a few year out......
.... and it certainly won't sell for the $25 you'll want to pay. :whistling

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.... and it certainly won't sell for the $25 you'll want to pay. :whistling
i would spend $2000 to $3000 if it did what i need it to do.
the sparky that is tracen and fixen what need to be fix bid it at over $9000 with a cap :whistling

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Pappa..... Are you suspect of splices behind the walls..... 4000 feet could likely be 20+ circuits.... but I would still think you would have a chance of tracing/isolating the circuts, draw out what you test, and maybe correct it without tearing out walls.

Granted it might be a challenging problem, and alot of headscratching, 9K seems alot for several days work.

Of course, I do not know how F'd up it may be, and whether you have hidden splices, but I have to regularily figure out/fix what HO's/ renters have F'd up thru many years in the past...... but of course probably on a much more limited basis.

Was none of this discovered when you bought it.... I would have thought the HI's plug-in tester would have encountered many issues.

Just curious.....

Best

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
i would spend $2000 to $3000 if it did what i need it to do.
the sparky that is tracen and fixen what need to be fix bid it at over $9000 with a cap :whistling
You'd would spend $2000 to $3000 just for the program? :laughing:........... THEN spend $9k to fix it? :no::no::no::no:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
not my place the owner has been in it for over a year.
no inspection it was cash buy that the bank owned.
yes i could do the work but do not have the time as i have 3 new homes going on at this time. the big thing for me is the concrete wall .
will remove the attic insulation this week and go from there .
the sparky did make good time finding and fixing today
there is only 2 220 in the hole place air and well :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts