Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to upgrade.

I managed to squeeze out another year out of a hardly used DeWalt that went bad on me again. The motor on this thing is shining and I can't get it to work for more than two jobs in a row.

I'll let the video speak for how I feel about the customer service I received in the New York Tri-State area when it came time for DeWalt to honor their warranty on a new compressor with less than 100 hours on it and two motors...

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Whew!

Okay, now having released all that negative energy, here I am again on a compressor hunt.

Thinking about going with a Gas Powered model this year finally.

Just loved the convenience of an electric, but time to get past that now and get a real roofer's compressor.

Here's what I'm leaning towards:

Rol Air Model 4090HK17

Anybody using one?

It'll be either that or a Jenny (which I hear great things about).

As for DeWalt/Emglo...on my S list from now on.

I know that all the good compressors seem to share Honda Engines (no surprise there), but does anybody use a Briggs & Stratton equipped gas compressor?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
This is the one we have, but don't have a ton of time on it yet. Is this the one you are referring to? If so, what problems have you had? Ours has been good, but like I said, not much time running it yet.

I know you don't care to hear about Hitachi all that much, but I have some old Hitachi's that won't stop running. They sure are tough!

Haven't used a gas powered wagon, like you have pictured, in years. They are great for some things, but just too bulky for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have 3 Rol-airs. Same model that you are considering. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else. I have never had one go bad. I have had a few stolen from me. My oldest one is 7 yrs. old. The muffler has rusted off and it is LOUD. The guys call it the Harley (straight pipes). I run 7 guns off it every day, day in and day out for 7 yrs.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I have the new Bosch line with the 8gallon tank and the Honday engine. Thing is a beast and is supposed to allow guns to fire with full air. Check out the bosch line.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
Time to upgrade.

I managed to squeeze out another year out of a hardly used DeWalt that went bad on me again. The motor on this thing is shining and I can't get it to work for more than two jobs in a row.

I'll let the video speak for how I feel about the customer service I received in the New York Tri-State area when it came time for DeWalt to honor their warranty on a new compressor with less than 100 hours on it and two motors...

:w00t::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: That video is priceless.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
The Roll-Air is what we use and I will only use that. One time without knowing because we thought someone was doing it, it went 2 years without an oil change. Runs like a champ.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the one we have, but don't have a ton of time on it yet. Is this the one you are referring to? If so, what problems have you had? Ours has been good, but like I said, not much time running it yet.

I know you don't care to hear about Hitachi all that much, but I have some old Hitachi's that won't stop running. They sure are tough!

Haven't used a gas powered wagon, like you have pictured, in years. They are great for some things, but just too bulky for me.
Brother, I'm actually LOOKING at Hitachi compressors too right now! :D

Picked up a Hitiachi hose and my next gun will either be a Hitachi or a Bosch, not at Bostitch has let me down, but I just don't feel "complete" without at least ONE Hitachi roofing gun in my arsenal...plus, my next framer will definitely be a Hitachi. The only other framer I'd consider would be a Max.

I actually had that same compressor in the pic you posted. It was absolutely trouble free, but that was an early model. I had no problems with it. Just had to leave it behind when I moved from Arizona back to NY and didn't have time to bring it. But that was the best compressor I ever had. Another Compressor that rocked was a Husky "branded" Campfield Hausefeld. That too peformed flawlessly (even after falling from a porch roof).

You've had that one since last year right?

Mine, I've used heavily everyday and it was great.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roll airs are top notch compressors... if taken care of they will last a very long time...
There's one thing I look for on a production job site...what brand compressors their using and power tools. I've only seen two types consistently...DeWalt or Rol Air (both Honda powered).

I've almost always seen the DeWalts in new condition while the Rol Airs have been beat up. What does that tell me? That the contractor just won't get rid of their Rol Airs. That's a great sign. So, that's why I'm leaning towards them now.

I've never experienced any problems with Gas DeWalts while doing production work, but I'm not giving them another cent after that B.S. they've put me through with my current compressor. Luckily I had access to a Bostitch pancake compressor to complete my current job (but I had that thing screeching all day).

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 3 Rol-airs. Same model that you are considering. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else. I have never had one go bad. I have had a few stolen from me. My oldest one is 7 yrs. old. The muffler has rusted off and it is LOUD. The guys call it the Harley (straight pipes). I run 7 guns off it every day, day in and day out for 7 yrs.
Thanks for that info. :thumbsup:

Good to hear.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the new Bosch line with the 8gallon tank and the Honday engine. Thing is a beast and is supposed to allow guns to fire with full air. Check out the bosch line.
I'll definitely check them out.

Anything Bosch, I like.

I got acquainted with them while doing a lot of demo work on hundred year old Brownstones in New York City. Their demo hammers are brutes. They take such a beating and come back for more.

I went and picked up a Bosch 1677 WormDrive (basically a re-badged Skil, but improved & loved it before it got stolen :censored: ).

I also picked up their PS20-2 10.8-Volt Impact Driver. That is the only driver I need. It can drive 3" screws all day long, lasts for hours and takes less than a lunch break to fully recharge. Weighs about 2lbs, literally fits "in" my tool pouch or back pocket and has more power than a huge 18V hammer drill.

And that's why my next gun consideration will either be the new Hitachi or the Bosch. Pretty much anything Bosch makes is top notch.

Besides...

:laughing:

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Roll-Air is what we use and I will only use that. One time without knowing because we thought someone was doing it, it went 2 years without an oil change. Runs like a champ.
It's one of those products that looks like what a gas compressor is supposed to look like...industrial (plus, it's my favorite color too! :D ).

DeWalt has a new "forced air" cooled compressor.

I'm tempted to see what it's about...BUT NO!

DeWalt "F" it up with me big time.

Their going to invent some crazy tool that will give me a B.J. for me to buy something from them again for a while.

But it "is" sexy, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Whew!

Okay, now having released all that negative energy, here I am again on a compressor hunt.

Thinking about going with a Gas Powered model this year finally.

Just loved the convenience of an electric, but time to get past that now and get a real roofer's compressor.

Here's what I'm leaning towards:

Rol Air Model 4090HK17

Anybody using one?

It'll be either that or a Jenny (which I hear great things about).

As for DeWalt/Emglo...on my S list from now on.

I know that all the good compressors seem to share Honda Engines (no surprise there), but does anybody use a Briggs & Stratton equipped gas compressor?

Been using since emglo got bought by Big Yellow.
Roll Aire last and work very well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Dewalt compressors we have had did not hold up to production work...

They are basically the same as Rigids, they work great new but are hard to service. Pick one up and feel the difference... look at the pump, the unloader position and the lines routing... you can have Home Depot or an industrial machine...

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The Dewalt compressors we have had did not hold up to production work...

They are basically the same as Rigids, they work great new but are hard to service. Pick one up and feel the difference... look at the pump, the unloader position and the lines routing... you can have Home Depot or an industrial machine...
I was going to buy a DeWalt Pressure Washer and in my research, I found that only the older models with CAT pumps were worth anything. The newer models with DeWalt pumps were considered inferior.

DeWalt's quality has fallen. That's undeniable.

That aside, even if they did manage to get their quality back up to where it used to be, I still couldn't deal with them anymore.

Their Service Manager really treated me like scum. As my compressor was held for ransom, I had to swallow it because I had a job to do and I had to pay $125. for to replace a BRAND NEW motor!

OUT-FRIKIN'-RAGEOUS!

(See video for further commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hjjm8CBE0M&feature=player_embedded )

Now if you'll excuse me for a second...

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Another Compressor that rocked was a Husky "branded" Campfield Hausefeld. That too peformed flawlessly (even after falling from a porch roof).

I have this one as well...I put a better intake/silencer on it, and changed the oil to 10w-30 Mobil 1 as per CH.....:thumbsup:

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have this one as well...I put a better intake/silencer on it, and changed the oil to 10w-30 Mobil 1 as per CH.....:thumbsup:
I regret selling that one.

:(

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have used a lot of different gas powered air compressors over the years with the most being Rol Airs. My first R.A. was given to me when I went on my own by my father who's only bought R.A.'s.

I've got five R.A's, 1 Dewalt, 1 Ridgid and 1 Emglo.

1 R.A is the big 8hp which is about 10 years old.
4 R.A's range from 6-12 years old and to be honest the pumps are junk and fail well before the rest of the machine.

Right now besides the 8hp R.A. the only "good" working compressor is the Dewalt.

The Emglo worked great for a year in a half until the 5.5hp Honda motor blew up.

The Ridgid never worked right from day. Was bought new from Home Depot about 11 months ago and it's fallen apart and now quit working so it just sits in the basement garage. I will never buy Ridgid anything. Home Depot didn't want to help me out, nor did the Ridgid. The only company that seemed to care was the small gas warranty company. They waived the $27 fee to test the thing. In the first month the cage fell off, the wheel fell off, and the pump filter fell off. In addition you had to take half the air filter apart to dump gas down the carb to get it going. The service tech thinks the carb is shot but strangly enough it acts like it does now the first day I bought it and tried to use it.

I've gotten more squares on with the used $300 Dewalt and used $250 Emglo than the last two new Rol Air's I've bought. The Ridgid was used on less than 10 jobs before it got parked for good.

Yes, I'm a little hard on my compressors.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts