Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the post about the compressor and I am having a similar problem, I bought a sears compressor 115V 15 amp it says on the unit. I plugged it into an outlet and it trips the breaker automatically. I plugged it into an 20 amp circuit that I know nothing else is hooked to and it automatically trips the breaker as soon as the compressor starts up. I understand the problem that initial fist second or two it probably draws 25 to 30 amps then it will only draw 15 amps. The instructions say use a time delay fuse, I have not had anything done to it but If I have a 20 amp circuit the a 15 amp time delay fuse when it starts up wouldnt the breaker still trip? What is the proper way to set this up? do they make time delay breakers?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Breakers are time delay.
If it trips the instant the compressor tries to start there is either something wrong with the compressor or the breaker is weak.
This unit should work fine on a 20 amp circuit. Contractors use them every day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taking the compressor back twice I am on the 3rd compressor and they all do the same thing, it is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp breaker, and I have changed the breaker

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am 100% positive this is the only outlet on the breaker it is in the garage 5' from the panal and I had this line put in several years ago for a 110v mig welder that I have. I have replaced the breaker thinking it is bad and I am on my 3rd compressor, its driving me crazy any suggestions? Somebody told me I should put a 30 amp breaker in but I dont want to put a 30amp breaker on a #12 wire.

·
Electrical Contractor
94 Posts
Try plugging it in another receptacle, and see what happens. That should eliminate something. It is either a bad receptacle/circuit or a bad compressor, or it just will not start on a 20amp breaker circuit. Take it one step at a time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
compressing

First things first. Check your electrical outlet. Make sure your wiring is done right. If the compressor needs a safety ground make sure your outlet has one.
On the electrical panel replaced the braker with a good known braker. Isolate your problem. Plug your compressor into different outlets. Check your wire size on all outlets. Hope that helps you. Keep up the good work.
Viva Texas.

·
Electrical Contractor
94 Posts
I tried to warn people about doing their own electrical work, but now it seems that the worst must have come to pass. :cry: It seems that KMD has succumbed to thrill of doing ones own electrical. :cry: If not, surely he could have told us what happened when the unit was plugged into another receptacle. :rolleyes: Inquiring minds would like to know. :cheesygri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts