Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post here, mainly because I have a problem.

I have a 4 cyl JD Sullivan Paletek compressor that stalls after it has run for a couple hours on the job. It will usually stall when I let off the trigger. When the compressor reaches full pressure and the engine has idled down to idle speed, it continued to slow until it stalled out.

It also has done it a few times when I press the trigger. When the compressor kicks in to make air, it cannot recover from the load and stalls.

This problem started after I cranked the engine and it soared wide open for a second until I realized what was happening and killed it. Turns out that the drive coupling came loose. The spline hub on the air end shaft loosened up and backed out of the splines on the flywheel side. The stalling problem started after this was fixed.

I'm looking to sell this machine to a potential buyer, but I only want to sell it if it's going to run right for a long time to come. It's a good machine set up with a pot for soda and a pot for abrasives. I wish I had more time to devote to running it, but I have a full time job that pays very well and I may be getting an even better (like, WAY-better-make-a-real-long-career type) job soon requiring me to live 2 hrs away during the week, which will cut my time for weekend extracurricular business to none--the little boy at home is going to want to see his daddy. (and visa versa)

I've read about checking the glass ball fitting on the return line and it has been clear twice that I've checked it. Has anyone dealt with this and what did you have to do to fix it? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dyer, thanks for the suggestions but I've already been thru all that. I've determined that this has to be in the governor in the injector pump or the injectors are stopped up.. but the latter would not be right because when it's running it runs great.

Rusty I'll check into that forum when I have time. Thanks very much.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
The little piston that hooks to the throttle is like a governor, the air psi pulls it open to up the compressor or let It idle down, if it's not adjusted right it could let the RPM's go to low and die

Also, the compressor might have a bad safety switch like oil psi, air temp, low voltage etc... Solenoids need enough amps to keep them open to allow it to run. Could be a bad one in there
Easy way to check those it to jump the wire across. Do one at a time and see if it stays running. Just have someone watch to make sure it doesn't over heat or something just in case it's working for a reason..

I rented a 375 a while back, ran grate for 2 hours and shut down with no signs of problems?
Turned out to be a safety switch on the oil psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The throttle control cylinder is working just as it should. I even took it loose from the pump throttle arm and operated the machine by hand. Same results.

It might be an electrical issue, but I've read so many threads where people deal with the same type issue, but they never come back and tell how they fixed the problem... I guess in the long run, that's all I want to here--how did someone fix this problem?

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
ahuggins6 said:
The throttle control cylinder is working just as it should. I even took it loose from the pump throttle arm and operated the machine by hand. Same results. It might be an electrical issue, but I've read so many threads where people deal with the same type issue, but they never come back and tell how they fixed the problem... I guess in the long run, that's all I want to here--how did someone fix this problem?
I've had old LeRoi's and Ingersoll rands
Not to familiar with the Sullivan's
My old LeRoi's used to do that when Idling down and stall, turned out to be loose wires but they were 1987 and old, my new IR had so many electric modules it's crazy, even if my battery goes below charging 12v it screws with them.
Shutting it off. (And yes it was the alt)

Plugged air cleaners, diesel filters and radiators will cause havac to.

It's one of those things ... Keep tiring things till you find it

Ps on the 375 unit I rented, the over heat shut off was bad, would run 1 to 3 hours and shut the compressor down. ( gauge said it wasn't over heated) so it was hard to figure out, I keeped jumping the wires on the safety **** offs till it worked. The guy at the rental offered me a job after Lol

·
Ralph
61 Posts
I have a Sullivan Paletek 210 and went crazy trying figure out the same problem. You have to change the fuel filter. The small piston seen to be the problem and I tried adjusting it also but to no avail.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Possible blob of diesel boogers in the banjo fittings on the supply side...my airman did this same thing for a while and I checked a lot of different things to find that it had a small black blob of I dunno what in the fitting before the filter...
I also had a bad coolant safety switch in the coolant neck by the thermostat that was intermittently shorting with a faint flicker of the idiot light on the start panel. It too would shut down at random times.
Judging that yours is load related I'm guessing the fuel supply is being restricted...once you ran it hard when the coupler went bad might mean that it sucked trash from the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts