Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks. I have a Porter Cable 4.3 gallon Air Compressor. It pumps up to 150PSI, and it's real sexy.

Recently, I had it looked over by a friend's dad. Ever since, it won't properly power my guns. It still charges up to 150PSI on the tank, and the regulator claims to be presenting 120PSI. The guns, however, act as though they are receiving pressure that is too low for them to operate properly.

What's happening (with two identical Senco Framers (FramePro601) and a Senco Roofer) is one nail will fire and sink 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into pine. If I have the regulator at 120, the piston will usually recoil completely, and the gun will load the next nail. Every 6-7 nails, I have to open the gun, push the piston back, and advance the nail manually.

If I set the regulator around 100, the piston will not recoil, and the nail can not advance.

The guy who worked on my compressor (He did it for free) did some playing with the regulator. It was leaking, and he said he put new thread tape on it. I am hoping he just over-tightened something in there and I can fix it myself without much trouble.

Does anyone have any advice about fiddling with regulators? I've looked around online for a schematic of the compressor -- or even just a generic regulator schematic -- and can't seem to find one.

Thanks in advance.

·
Mickey
105 Posts
It sounds as though you have pressure but not the volume of air for the guns to work properly. Take the regulator off and see if he didn't happen to get too much thread tape and it's plugging something. I doubt if you can fix the regulator so I wouldn't waste time looking for a schematic. You can buy them at a hardware store and they're not too expensive.

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mickey, that's one thing I'll definitely check.

I should note that the compressor was running these guys properly, before it was serviced.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,762 Posts
Easiest way to check for lack of volume is to put a pressure valve inline with an air nozzle. Activate the nozzle and watch the guage, let the nozzle close and the pressure should return to max instantly. If it builds then you have a restriction somewhere. Could be the tape or the regulator itself.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,762 Posts
Hey Youngbuck this is a little off topic but how do you find a compressor sexy ?????? :blink:
Maybe a vacuum cleaner......:blink::laughing:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The only way a compressor could be sexy was if it had a blow gun connected to it.:whistling

Anyway, I'd first chaeck to make sure the regulator didn't get reversed so as to have the input air going in the output side. It's pretty easy to do with some, & can act exactly like your describing. The other thing has been mentioned...teflon tape clogging air ports.

My bet is a reversed regulator.;)
Joe

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem with air volume as a 50ft standard hose should have more than enough volume of air to power your guns so it must be a pressure problem. Go get ya self a test gauge to plu into the end of your air line and test for correct pressure. It sounds like he has not put the valve back together properly.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hey Youngbuck this is a little off topic but how do you find a compressor sexy ??????
What you never sat on a compresor before?:w00t:

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Uhhhhhhhhhhh............ NO. Chicks like my bike though. Maybe after riding they can ride my compressor for awhile. All systems go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
regulators are most often nothing more than a diaphragm and a spring. The diaphragm will usually be the culprit as they like to deform or tear casueing leaking.

The problem sounds to me like Air Volume and I believe you should not only look at the regulater, as teflon tape will not seal a diaphram, but swap your air hose out with one that you know works. Sometimes the insides of the hose can tear and colaspe on itself, causeing little to no air volume. Seen it many times on Hydraulic hoses as well.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,762 Posts
3 post wonder. It would be nice to find out what happened after we spent so much time helping him....

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey now, I'm no 3 post wonder! I've been busy.

I haven't dealt with the compressor yet.

I've gotten enough information out of you guys that I'm confident I'll be able to fix the problem. You're awesome, I thank you, and when I do fix it I will let you know what the problem was, if just to sate Leo's curiosity. ;)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,762 Posts
Just making sure you were listening. :smartass::smartass:

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried to fix the damned thing. Took the regulator out, eye-balled it (as if that did anything) couldn't figure out any glaring problems. Put it back together. same issue. Didn't want to deal with it anymore. Took it to a tool repair place. Haven't heard back yet. I'll let you guys know the answer to the puzzle as soon as I know! Also, whether or not it was cheaper to fix the damned thing, instead of replacing it.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Glad to hear you got 'er fixed.

Yesterday my small cambell hausfeld quit running. Just won't turn on. I need it on the job, so on the way home I picked up a new one from Canadian Tire for $60.

I'm guessing it's the switch, if I ever get time I'll tinker with it. But they are almost a disposable item.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts