Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering converting a Ford F150 to CNG (planned to keep it bi-fuel though). I'm having a hard time determining the mileage range we'd get with converting. I know with CNG it is difficult to measure MPG, any insight on another way to track/measure what we'll be getting?

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I looked into converting my old off road truck from gas to propane and the conversion was not hard to do. A fella i spoke to about it used to work for a company with larger trucks that were all propane and his own personal cars were all propane including his 32 Duece. He stated to me that although propane has a higher octane there was about a 10% loss in power but the benefits were the engine burned much cleaner so there was rarely a need for a tune-up, oil base has less carbon deposits/contamination so you could easily got double if not triple the miles on the oil and there was no problems with carbon in the cylinders/valves. Also for older carb vehicles the propane was under pressure so it was just like fuel injection with instant throttle response. The only problem he said to watch for was be sure the fuel lines were large enough and to insulate them to help prevent freezing. In the colder months be sure to let the engine warm up to prevent freezing.

I know NG is a little different but not much.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I drive a friends electricians truck, its gasoline / propane 454. Its gutless on propane and when its runs out its a pita to go get more usually ( only 1 place will fill it )

CNG from my understanding is measured different gallon wise. roughly people say 75% mileage as gasoline
so if on gasoline you get 20 mpg figure 15 on cng and multiply by size of cng tank and you have your range

1 - 3 of 3 Posts