Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have experience with these?

Thinking about one for my new shop as pumping to the septic would be a horrendous task.

Just would like a toilet in the shop for the occasional deuce...:whistling

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
How about a turd burner (incinerating toilet)? I know a few people with them and they work well.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I've put a couple in.

Even built a 5gal bucket-based model once.

I have never actually used/or maintained one. The feedback I have gotten has been very good though.

But I think it is very dependent on two factors. How much you spend upfront (more equals less (less maintenance, odor, feeling of sitting inches from fresh poo)), and your level of commitment.

The feedback I trust the most is from the guy who did it for economy not to save the world (although I think that's a fine thing). He has a weekend cabin and says it's easy to maintain, and having spent time there, I can verify it was completely inoffensive.

I think his was a SunMar..??

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
They're fine. The vibe is a little out-housey - you're aware that there isn't water, and you're likely to get a few smells - maybe from the vent - and you're going to have to deal with the stuff eventually. It's no worse than having a boat with a pump-out head.

They're a little pricey.

Edit: Speaking as a user, in a couple vacation homes. Never installed one.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Federal and state parks have them here in remote areas. I really don't know the mechanics of them.

That's all I have. :tongue_smilie:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
If it's just occassional use, do like I do on the rare occassions I gotta go on site. 5 gal buck with some water in the bottom & sling it out in the yard when you're done. :)

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
We've got a lot of beach shacks around here set up with the composting or incinerating toilets. I've had several people comment on how much the electric incinerators cost to operate. The decent composting jobs cost a lot of $$$. Last time I looked they were $2k-3k. That's a lot of sawdust:laughing:

·
Banned
3 Posts
Sun-Mar composting toilets are a perfect solution to your needs. In fact, you could pretty much install a Sun-Mar anywhere. Sun-Mar toilets require no plumbing, no water, are odor-free and are an inexpensive solution. Feel free to contact Sun-Mar for any additional information and to answer any questions you may have.

www.sun-mar.com

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Sun-Mar composting toilets are a perfect solution to your needs. In fact, you could pretty much install a Sun-Mar anywhere. Sun-Mar toilets require no plumbing, no water, are odor-free and are an inexpensive solution. Feel free to contact Sun-Mar for any additional information and to answer any questions you may have.

www.sun-mar.com
Please spam the forum some more with reviews of your product!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Any of you guys have experience with these?

Thinking about one for my new shop as pumping to the septic would be a horrendous task.

Just would like a toilet in the shop for the occasional deuce...:whistling
Griz, my pop has one in his cabin in Arkansas. He says they are a pain in the ass...........but they work

Reactions: griz

·
Super Moderator
24,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's just occassional use, do like I do on the rare occassions I gotta go on site. 5 gal buck with some water in the bottom & sling it out in the yard when you're done. :)
Looking for a more formal office setting....:whistling

Tough to match a magazine rack to a 5 gal bucket...:laughing:

Maybe a milk crate....:laughing:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm not a plumber by no means, and i'll be the first to admit ,I don't know anything about it, but I know a couple of guys who built bathrooms in their shops. And they installed their toilets and ran the plumbing out side to 55 gallon barrels buried with holes drilled in it and half full of gravel. they said it works great.

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
brickhook said:
I'm not a plumber by no means, and i'll be the first to admit ,I don't know anything about it, but I know a couple of guys who built bathrooms in their shops. And they installed their toilets and ran the plumbing out side to 55 gallon barrels buried with holes drilled in it and half full of gravel. they said it works great.
That's exactly what I did going on 4 years. Works just fine.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You know how I know you don't live up North? :whistling:no:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts