Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I need to pick your brains about what Composite Railings you use?

We don't build many decks with railings here, in my area, in Texas so I would like to know what kinds you prefer and which are easer to install.

I have done an Azek railing but they are a bit pricy for this job, I believe.

She really likes the brown/rust colored Decorator baluster so I would like to be able to include those.

The other thing is she does not want white or black railings, something in a beige/kaki.

Clemens said if I used Fiberon I would be stuck because I couldn't use other balusters with that railing system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This deck is being done with Moisture Shield.

Their railings are not cap stock correct, so I would get quite a bit of fading? I like the fact that their posts are structural and the hole in the center would help with lighting.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I really don't see all that much fading going on with the Moisture Shield boards/ posts.

I think if a person put one out for 5 years and kept one inside for all that time a difference could be seen but it is minor. This is coming from the JonMon's non science test out back of the shop. But No the railing is not cap.

If the decking was cap then sure there would be a difference right away.

They do make a nice looking post, kinda spendy though.

One little trick I do but no one else would. If the color is not exactly what the Wallet wants I put a coat of TWP on the composite boards. This works really well for several things. Side Note >> you Folks at home don't try this, I am a trained professional <<

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank your again for non science opinion.

These are the first customers I have had that want gray everything, except the brown balusters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts