Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I was wondering how the deck guys are cutting composite decking. I use my miter box, circular saw and table saw for all the straight cuts/rips. When notching is needed around posts, I've been using a jig saw and I am going through too many blades. What are you using?
Thanks - Joe

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
It depends on the composite and especially and reinforcement such as glass fibers.
This is not something that I do (comp decks) but the cutting aspects should be the same. Try this; Slow the saw to about 1/3, if you have orbital, set it all of the way up, use the coarsest BiMetal blades that you can find.

You need to find the following; a speed that will not melt the composite and overheat/gum the blade, Max orb. helps clear chips in finetooth blades, BiMetal is about the hardest tooth that you will find locally. Play around with it, take your time. I think that you will find that a slower recip. will = a higher feed rate.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
JPV123 said:
notching is needed around posts, I've been using a jig saw and I am going through too many blades. What are you using?
Jig
Less teeth and a harder blade seems better
Still go through more then I'd like, I think that may be the nature of the beast

1 - 3 of 3 Posts