Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats everybody think of Choice Deck composite decking?

Just put in my first composite, I like the $hit, cost was out of this world but it went down real nice.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Not familiar with 'Choice Deck', - - but I've done several in 'EverGrain', - - and 'Timber-Tech', - - and yeah, - - I like it a lot too, - - I was always stuck on wood, - - but once I finally made the transition (simply by demand), - - I really liked it's workability and the fact that it's so comparatively maintenance-free, - - that I plan on installing some for myself when I get the time (and obviously, the money). I know someone complained of the 'mold' issue on another thread, - - but those problems (mainly with Trex) were solved years ago. I'll be using Timber-Tech for myself.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
If you get a chance, - - check out Timber-Tech's 'White Sand', - - now that's an awesome color for a deck!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, it looks like you were installing on 16's. Most of that decking won't hack it over time. Here, on 12's is minimal and I can provide pics of docks where that was not adequate. Hope that all is really as different up north as Y'all keep reminding us.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Choice Deck says 16OC is the ticket, plus the decking is a full inch and a qtr.

Seems pretty dam ridgid to me.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I still have some pics of the old stuff used as dock decking at a local marina. I think that they have hauled most of it away post storms, the marina was trashed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Doen a deck resurfacing job this week with Timber Tech and I have to say that I like the finished product. The only problem I have with all the composites is it retains to much heat especially the color Bob is puttin down. I that is in full or partial sun look out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Whats everybody think of Choice Deck composite decking?

Just put in my first composite, I like the $hit, cost was out of this world but it went down real nice.

Bob
Choice Deck is a fine decking material, and the key is maintenace free. CD is made from recycled plastic and wood fibers. Unlike other composites CD's plastic totally incapsulates the wood fibers so you have a life time warranty on any defects.The cost is more upfront but the return after a couples years of no staining or painting and no replacement and the esthetics i.e. no cupping, twisting, so on is well worth the investment.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
hpaknik said:
Choice Deck is a fine decking material, and the key is maintenace free. CD is made from recycled plastic and wood fibers. Unlike other composites CD's plastic totally incapsulates the wood fibers so you have a life time warranty on any defects.The cost is more upfront but the return after a couples years of no staining or painting and no replacement and the esthetics i.e. no cupping, twisting, so on is well worth the investment.
No such thing as maintenance free deck. Becareful throwing that term around, even the big boys are starting to change their wording in their product literature. You are going to have a harder and harder time finding the words maintenance free associated with plastic decking. Reduced maintenance is the reality and the new lingo. Becareful and don't set yourself up for a lawsuit with the choice of a word or two.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i've only done a few of them, but i like 'em. high dollar but worth it. lately i've been pushing it to my clients.NEVER say maint.free! however , it does cut down those freak splinter accidents.LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts