Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Chatting it with my barber the other day we got to talking about his deck. 5/4 PT that has been painted 16x25. Tired of scraping every other year.

I had my deck samples with me and showed him what out there.
$$ is an issue for him so a full re-skin is out of the picture.

One of his other customers had told him about a 12" wide board used as an overlay. I believe the other guy was thinking he could use fascia board as decking.

Trex made an overlay product at one time 1/2" x 6, if memory serves correctly.

Anybody have any recommendations or know of a product available today. I am off to the internets to search, but thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Andrew

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
The only way I might possibly even consider doing an overlay, is with those 12 x 12 wood tiles with the plastic grid under it (I don't even know if the manufacturer allows it - they only show them being used on concrete & on top of fully supported roof decks)

Re-skinning it is the only way to go

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I can only imagine the type of chit that would be trying to grow between the 2 layers.....Reskin it and reuse the railing this year. Next year or year after next he'll have to break down and redo the railing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies guys
I was thinking same thoughts regarding moisture trapped between layers and what would grow in there. Have not found any products that are meant for covering yet. There is probably a good reason for it.

He had a razor at my neck at the time, so I said I would look into it.

SLS I found this but at $12 sf plus shipping, and screwing up stair heights etc. cheaper to do right

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,531 Posts
Re-skin is the only way to go. I do not know of an overlay product other than those ipe deck tiles like in the pic.

I saw a TP deck where someone tried to overlay 12" hardi siding, looked like hammered dog doo doo. Amazing what some people will try.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
He had a razor at my neck at the time, so I said I would look into it.
:laughing::laughing:
SLS I found this but at $12 sf plus shipping, and screwing up stair heights etc. cheaper to do right
I kinda like the looks of that, but not the application....Either a Timbertech or Correct Deck should bring you in cheaper than that

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Moisture Shield is making a block like that as well,interlocks no fastening at all about the same size 12x12'' pretty easy to get back up. That stuff is pretty tough far as water goes. Sales Rep>>Kevin 479 871 2992 << pretty good Dude rides a softtail. J.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
The words...
crap sandwich, come to mind. :blink:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone,

John Hyatt, there are some dealers around here, I will look into that product.

I have only seen pictures of the existing deck, but I am sure that any thing over a 1/2" or so would cause problems with rail heights/stairs etc.

For the tile systems, $ would probably end being the same or more than installing new decking.

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts