Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used any of the composite decking and handrail products out on the market? If so what is your take. I just got a material cost for a 20x12 doing it in all composite, (fiveron) with ACO framing for $4500.00 dollars. Is it worth the cost for no maintence or would you use wood for handrails? Also, living in the New England area what is the going rate just for labor to build a 20X12 deck 6' off the ground? This includes tubes, framing, leger, and handrail, etc.

Thanks

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Do you mean ACQ? I believe the one place where composite actually shines is the railing systems. However the costs are tremendous, but I believe this is a true case of you get what you pay for. If you are already commited to the decking to be composite I would think doing the railings in the same materials is a no-brainer as long as the budget is there.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I refinished a deck with trex deck. The deck is about 25'x14' the actual length wasn't as even. You on the other hand have a perfect dimension for a trex as it only comes in 20',16', 12' or was it 10'. Any way the cost was $1.73 Lft was the best price compared to HD at $2.03. Which doesn't carry trex. I did about a year later find Trex for $1.34 lft. That would of saved the home owner some money. Oh well it was T&M job.

Because of the lengths unusable scraps can add up so tight material take off and management is a must. If your anal about that kind of stuff like I am. I like being the guy with the smallest scrap pile. I did however see a picture album at the lumber store with pics of what this one guy did witht the scraps. Used them like pavers.

·
FRAME ON!
1,653 Posts
I would not use the trex product or anything like that really . All the comp deck materials are trash they mold bad. Im dead serious . Why mess up something good and leave the cardboard alone. 'GO WOOD" OR "GO HOME"

I had the inside on that product from the main inventor for the longest time . He told me some stuff about that decking that is just terrible .

Also why not use wood its cheaper to replace .

·
Registered
378 Posts
I push hardwood decking to customers.No chemicals, boidegradable and lasts for ever ,almost.Main drawback is difficulty of installation,as far as material cost almost same as higher end composites.Trex brasillia which is sopposed to imitate this actually costs more than the real thing.Stuff also has great strenth so structural uses are possible,decking for residential use is only 3/4"!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ipe is what i was refering to ,but there are other tropical hardwood decking options.Customers don,t always see value of it,just looking at the upfront cost not the matinence costs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
747 said:
WESTERN RED CEDAR :Thumbs: GET A HIGH GRADE IT WILL LOOK AWESOME :)
747, i never recommend cedar for deck boards ok for posts and railings,but as decking it realy takes a beating from foot traffic.Cedar is my siding of choice,but for decks there are much better more durable alternatives.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Oh I Didn't No That. I Thought Western Red Cedar Was Used For Decking.

BERGENBDLR SERIOUS QUESTION...HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TERMITES MESS WITH CEDAR SIDING.

·
Registered
378 Posts
747 said:
Oh I Didn't No That. I Thought Western Red Cedar Was Used For Decking.

BERGENBDLR SERIOUS QUESTION...HAVE YOU EVER SEEN TERMITES MESS WITH CEDAR SIDING.
747,cedar is sold as decking, but i don,t recommend it.We do use it for exterior trim,and railings.Less expensive than redwood or fypon products for exterior millwork. No never seen termites eat it,carpenter ants and carpenter bees will bore into it but they just nest in it.cedar will however rot if in ground contact or subject to constant moisture.

·
Registered
378 Posts
While on subject of termites number one problem i see is with garage door jambs that ends are buried and in direct ground contact.If done properly jambs should stop even with top of slab,with slab floated under blocking termites from wood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bergenbldr said:
I push hardwood decking to customers.No chemicals, boidegradable and lasts for ever ,almost.Main drawback is difficulty of installation,as far as material cost almost same as higher end composites.Trex brasillia which is sopposed to imitate this actually costs more than the real thing.Stuff also has great strenth so structural uses are possible,decking for residential use is only 3/4"!!!
Have you ever used this product as decking next to a pool? I am concerned about the micro-slivers that you can get from it.

·
Ex Nail Pounder
164 Posts
fredthehandyman said:
Have you ever used this product as decking next to a pool? I am concerned about the micro-slivers that you can get from it.
Yes we have and it's no worry. It's whats on the Coney Island Boardwalk for years now.

·
FRAME ON!
1,653 Posts
If you ever wanted to see the real me building a deck well here it is

/////////||||||||||\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\||||||||||////////

1 - 20 of 21 Posts