Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone play their games?

I have for the last month. Wanted to hear others input before I share my horror story.

They are supposed to verify all vendors Insurances/licenses for Large companies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just started the process with them.

Been working for these apt complexes for 2 - 3 years now with no problems. Now they say I was supposed to be signed up with Compliance Depot all along.

Heard horror stories about them from others, so I'm expecting to receive several letters stating my non compliance.

We shall see.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah get ready to suddenly not be in compliance.

I had to have WC, 1 Mil general liability, 100 mil commercial auto, & a w-9.

Week one they initially denied me. So I called compliance depot, the property manager, & my insurance guy all in a teleconference. At that point, compliance depot argued about the "verbiage" of my insurance certificate. Somehow, an industry standard form is not good enough. So we got that fixed and life is good, right?

The next friday, I get an email from compliance depot saying I am not in compliance. Another hour on the phone with the property managers boss, a different person @ compliance depot and once again my insurance guy and it sorted.

Rinse & repeat the next two fridays.

Apparently, there is no authoritive figure @ compliance depot. And because it's a call center with loosely trained phone jockeys, sometimes they won't record that they talked to you and update their system to show it.

This was my problem. After 4 weeks of teleconferences it turn out the people were not updating my profile.

And it costs $99/year.

From talking to my customers corporate offices, this is very common for their vendors to struggle with Compliance Depot and get approved. Corporate told me that because I am approved, the headaches aren't over and be prepared to go through this headache at least once a year.

·
Contractor
4,653 Posts
you are correct Driftweed, the competition is smaller for the bids we put in.

The initial approval took 45-60 days (between the insurance agent/CD). There have been a few hiccups along the way, but once my insurance agent became familiar with what to do, it's been easy. The verbiage on the cert has to be exact. Even certain versions of a form can create an issue.

It's the company you work for that decides what to require, that's not CD's requirement. My company allows a waiver on WC if you're a single person working for them, stating no employees. Just had to call CD and get them to approve the waiver that I signed/submitted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
can anyone comment on how much work they get by using this company. Is it worth it for you? What kind of work do you do?

We are a locksmith and security company and compliance depot seems to be mostly used by multi-family housing. So far, when a company asks if I will do the compliance I say 'yes, as long as you pay the enrollment fee.' That does not go over well. I would be more inclined to use their service if I could be guaranteed work. But it seems like a big headache to go thru just to possibly get work.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mostly paint rentals.

The one customer I have owns 120 apt complexes nationwide. So once your in, your in. As far as the enrollment fee: build it into your first couple invoices.

Also know your payment schedule. It usually doesn't start until compliance depot approves you. So on a net 45 you have to fight compliance depot for a month, THEN your 45 days start. So bill it to make it worth it.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I never heard of them. We have 3 admin assistants that do that 40 hours a week. All the sub billing goes through them, if you are not in compliance for your particular job, your bill goes to the bottom of the stack and never even gets to the PM.

Hopefully it surfaces again next month.

That would be a good name for that department. I think I'll have a sign made for that 3 cubicle space "COMPLIANCE DEPOT":thumbup:

Of course the subs all come to me wondering why they haven't been paid. Usually it's a t not crossed or an i not dotted. I guess from now on I just need to give them the number for our COMPLIANCE DEPOT department.:laughing:

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... tomorow I lien the customer. Turns out compliance depot was a way to stall payment.

They (client) emailed me last thursday saying my w-9 was not signed. I told them to call compliance depot...

So, tomorow i file a lien and call it a lesson learned.

·
Contractor
4,653 Posts
can anyone comment on how much work they get by using this company.
you don't get any work by using CD-they are in no way that I am aware of, a job source.

as far as the comment re: if the client payed the fee...shouldn't have asked in my opinion and made it part of the initial billing, call it setup fee or something.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: The one client I had is no more.

I had to file a lien against McKinley Inc based out of Ann Arbor to even start seeing payment. Even though they used compliance depot to verify papers, they still wanted me to re-fill out all paperwork for them.
It took me $99 & 30 days of back and forth with compliance depot to get verified. Then, Mckinley Inc wanted me to do it all again. Lesson learned.

Turns out, compliance depot is a stall tactic to delay payment. They are now a red flag, & I will not do work for any company that uses them as it is a strong indicator that payment will not be made in a timely manner.

Also: You "subscription" renews every january. Regardless if you enrolled in february or october. So come January be prepared to jump through all those hoops and headaches AGAIN.

Property liened. Lawsuit filing next week.

Be warned from both these companies.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Was this your big client? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. If it's a small customer, lesson learned and keep on truckin'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Compliance Depot keeps saying I am not in compliance. I comply to everything they request and then a month or 2 later, get an email saying I'm still not in compliance.
I am still working for the properties and still receiving checks though.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was this your big client? If so, I'm sorry to hear that. If it's a small customer, lesson learned and keep on truckin'.
They were my largest at that time. Tallied up $5800 in invoices...

Moved on to bigger and better, & learned to be sue happy. Do not trust a corporate monkey who says "check is in the mail".

·
Registered
2 Posts
They were my largest at that time. Tallied up $5800 in invoices...

Moved on to bigger and better, & learned to be sue happy. Do not trust a corporate monkey who says "check is in the mail".
Did you recoup your losses? I might be going through the same thing with this management company in the downriver area

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. I liened the property, & in january filed a small claim. Court was friday. I slowly got paid in $1000 increments and was paid everything due except filing fees plus interest. So my lawyer went to court to get a judgement for that last $100.

I had to pay my lawyer 1/3 collected. Which sucked, but hey they have every intention of exercising every avenue to collect. Including foreclosing on the property. THAT day will be a funny day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts