Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does competition ever get so stiff, that you can no longer compete with guys doing the same kind of work at dirt cheap prices? When the community newspapers are filled with columns of names of individuals/co's doing the same thing you do, what would set you above so that you can keep busy even though lots of people could easily underbid you? :(

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
The best that can set you apart is professionalism, and service.

The smart people know you have to pay for it.

Price, Quality, Service----- pick 2

My clients are high end..it is easy to seperate myself from the lazy, incompetant, slow, laid back low ballers.
Even other high end stores have salespeople who do not put forth 115% energy.

Treat each client with the enthusiasm like they are the very first you have dealt with.
Keep your energy up because it will wear off on them.
Keep your skills sharp by helping people all over the world on the internet.
Keep reading the trade mags to keep updated on what is happening in your field.
Have high self esteem...this alone will solve alot of small problems you may encounter.
Treat customers how you would want to be treated.
Learn how to talk to customers in different ways. Kinda like you talk different to your child as you would an adult. People speak different languages even though it's all English.

HAVE FUN!

this is what I do to seperate me from my competition. If you do this, you will find you have NO competition. Unless the client is price shopping, and believe me, you won't want them all.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
This topic has been discussed a few times before. The answer is easy because I have committed it to memory.

1) We are committed to quality, we only use quality materials and we focus on doing the job right. Our employees are well trained and we don't take jobs if we don't think we can handle them.
2) Each customer receives personal attention from their point of contact, or their estimator. This is their go-to person if they have any questions at any time. There is no transfering from department to department.
3) Great warranties are a must. Because we only use quality materials and we focus on doing the job right we are able to give workmanship guarantees twice the industry norm in addition to the manufacturer's warranties.
4) Fair pricing structure, meaning you pay what it costs to do it right. There are guys charging tons more and guys charging tons less. Compare scope of work before you compare price.
5) Multiple payment options from Visa or Mastercard or the obvious personal check. We make it easy for customers to do business with you.
6) Turn key meaning we handle all the headaches. Tell us what color and when you want it and relax. We get the permits and handle all the red tape. (I still don't believe some contractors make the customer get the permit. Sometimes my customers are shocked when i tell them I get the permit at no additional cost to them.)

What more can a customer want?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
A man told me almost 15 years ago that there are just a few simple things in any building trade that will put you in the top 5%.

Do:
-What you say you're going to do
-When you say you're going to do it
-At the price you said you'd do it at

It's working out for me so far. If you called me today to do work, you wouldn't be scheduled until the third week of November, but I'd be there.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mdshunk said:
A man told me almost 15 years ago that there are just a few simple things in any building trade that will put you in the top 5%.

Do:
-What you say you're going to do
-When you say you're going to do it
-At the price you said you'd do it at

It's working out for me so far. If you called me today to do work, you wouldn't be scheduled until the third week of November, but I'd be there.
That's the golden rules right there! The official road map to success for everybody.

Completed my job today, customer thanked me and told me how happy they were with the way my company performed - you showed up when you said you would, you never kept us waiting or wasted our time, you did what you said you would - thanks very much, we will be in touch with the other projects we discussed.

To Cubevan - if competition is that stiff already - all you can do is advertise like freaken crazy, spend every dollar you can to build a base of referral customers by once you get them as a customer to do everything you can to set yourself apart. Problem is it is going to cost a lot of money to get there because how many others are competing against you until you become referal based.

If competition isn't that stiff yet, keep working to get to all referral based and take advantage of the lack of competition and get their faster, knowing that if it does get that bad at least you will almost be to the point of not having to spend all that money to advertise since you have been working on building the referal base all along.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I agree with what's been said. Finding a niche market doesn't hurt either. I'm the only one who will do big projects in exotic woods within 70 miles. That makes me the go-to guy for high end builders and designers. Ain't nobody else. There are only a few here that manufacture solid wood furniture and one specializes in pine only. The world is my oyster.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The problem with your policy MD, is that it only applies to repeat customers and maybe referrals. What about what you do to win over new customers? I think a customer assumes your are going to do what you say when you say it at the price you said you'd do it... the rest is gravy.

Ofcoarse we all know not all guys do what they say when they say it, but that's because we are the pros.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Grumpy said:
The problem with your policy MD, is that...

Umm.... respectfully, my "policy" has no problem. The question was "what sets you apart" and not "what do you do to win new business". The difference is subtle, but I see a difference. What you have to understand is that in my market area, that's all I have to do to stand apart. If I were in your market area, my approach would likely be quite different. In fact, if I were in your market area, I'd be working for Reliable American-Electrical Division and not going at it on my own. I'd suck as a businessman in a big city. All I have to do in my market area is answer the phone when it rings, schedule an appointment, show up, bid, show up later and do the work, and send a bill. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
mdshunk said:
All I have to do in my market area is answer the phone when it rings, schedule an appointment, show up, bid, show up later and do the work, and send a bill. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Maybe I should move to... Where do you live?
:)

You have to forgive me for thinking like a salesman. Even though I wear many hats the sales hat is my favorite, and it's how my mind is wired mostly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts