Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting estimates to replace the underlayment on my 3100sf clay tile roof. One roofer is planning on using 2-Ply SBS TU43. Another roofer has quoted a single layer of Fontana G-40 underlayment.

Are these two products comparable in quality and performance? Is one of these options better for the extreme Arizona heat?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not go synthetic? or self adhering mod-bit sheets?
Thanks for the opinion on the two options, stombaugh85.

I hadn't considered anything other than what the contractors had proposed, but I will look into the functional aspects of the products you mention.

Generally speaking, would the price difference between the 2-Ply SBS option and the synthetic or modified bituman sheets be significant?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for the opinion on the two options, stombaugh85.

I hadn't considered anything other than what the contractors had proposed, but I will look into the functional aspects of the products you mention.

Generally speaking, would the price difference between the 2-Ply SBS option and the synthetic or modified bituman sheets be significant?
Ask your contractor. Prices vary upon regions. A good synthetic here is cheaper than a quality 2- ply felt.

·
Aka clvr83
121 Posts
I'm not familiar with either product but I know that SBS commonly refers to modified bitumen. I install a self-adhered base sheet and cap sheet, which is SBS modified bitumen. Is that the two ply he is referring to? If so, it spanks the hell out of one layer of g40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.