Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hard enough time choosing a forum name, let alone one that will hopefully, be with me the rest of my life. I started trying to think of a name long before I was registered and I still can't come up with crap. I don't want the generic first initial, last name or the played out "Pricision" this or that. I also don't want anything named after the town I am in or that comes across like I only do one type of work.

Some people se carpentry, and might not think that I do siding or things like that so I want to make sure it is broad but sounds good as well as looks good. If it has a nice sounded abbreviation that I could use in a logo that would be great too.

Not asking for name ideas, but I am wondering how long it took you to come up with yours? I am in the stage of writing a bunch of words down when ever I think of one and then hopefully in the end I will be able put a few together and have a name.

It is holding me up from business cards, shirts and signs all of which I am REALLY looking forward to having made.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How bout " Joes precision quality complete construction of Pawtucket". Just kidding, a lot goes into a name. There's nothing wrong with building a business after your family name. Especially when years down the road, people will know that name well if you do quality work. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My Dad started our company in 1951 "Gordon Hooker Masonry" I took over the company in 2006-2008. We both were class A licensed and he told me it didn't matter to him what I named it.

I went up to Richmond on business for a few days, and on the 3 1/2 hour ride back home I couldn t believe that I coudn t come up with a name.

I went and told him I was going keep his name on the ' front door' he smiled and said "that'll work" The obvious was right in front of me and I couldn't see it.

I guess my point is, the obvious is probably in front of you, don't over think it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Seems when ever I think of something that sounds good, it is because I had seen something similar somewhere. In bed is where some of my best thinking happens, unfortunately this time of year it is usually instead of sleep due to stress. Most of it has been consumed with what I hope for the spring, including a new trailer.

I have a good feeling about this year, I just hope I have a name within enough time to have cards and everything ready for when the starting gates drop.

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
Took me a little longer than it should have I think and really I never decided on one, it just sort of happened organically. People kept asking me what to make the checks out to and since I didn't have a name yet, I'd tell them to make it to me, so I kept saying, "Gibson works". It would just end up my last name on the check. After a while I just named the business Gibson Works. Simple, and Stanley seems to have done ok with Works, so I figure it couldn't be that bad. hah
I also like it because it doesn't pigeon hole me into doing a specific thing. You can add a tagline to the website/business cards on your own that dials you in a little, but you can still pull a siding job even if you normally do painting. I think people are less hesitant to ask if I do other stuff since there's no trade specifically listed on my card.

Don't sweat it too much, you can always pay to have another trade name attached to it if you change your mind.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My advice would be to get a batch of cards made now with your name, contact info. They only cost a few bucks. When you get name then roll it out with logo etc. Waiting to put plans into effect isn't good strategy, though I'm guilty of it as well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are absolutely right. If my previous luck is any indication, I will probably think of a name as soon as I pay for those cards. haha

Maybe just my name with "Contractor" or something under it and my contact info. I probably wont even use one of the generic logos, just keep it simple.

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
You can have cards at your house within like 3 days for under 100 bucks, from the time you read this post.
vistaprint.com everybody knows. 4by6.com is also good. They let you do several different designs for the same bulk price. You can try out 4 names!

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
First company (still active) was Last name Fine Homes, Inc.

In 2007 when my dad started this company a guy told him to use Google add words, and he did. We pretty much switched over to the new name.

My grandad was in business for almost 50 years under his full name, Builder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
when I first started I didnt use my name in the name ( cause I was nervous ) now 15 years later business is great and I wish I would have used my name in the company name. its alot easier for new customers to find ya imo.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I pondered mine for a good while.

I picked a name that would be synonymous with quality workmanship.

I've seen "fit and finish" used in many instances to define craftsmanship, not only in construction, but also in the automobile and garment industries.

I named my business "FIT-N-FINISH CONSTRUCTION" and later added "INC".

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All great input guys! Thank you. I now kind of hope I don't think of anything right away, just ordered some cards.

I was looking at the free cards on vista print, then the regular matte finish ones.

I ended up with 500 premium gloss cards with the same design/color on the back with "Thank you for your business!" and then my name and number underneath. 2 pens and 25 fridge magnets. I figured those would be nice to slap on the fridge after I finish a kitchen or something.

Without having a company name and/or logo on the cards I figured I would spend the extra on the higher quality stock so it still might stand out a bit. Not only that, I don't want my card to be the one that dyes someone's wallet or purse when it rains.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts