Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing my high mileage work van shortly with a nice pickup truck. Was considering putting logos on the doors and tailgate. Still in debate about it. Any input?

·
Registered
819 Posts
having your company logo on a work truck/van is how you look professional...without it you look like a side jobber

I have my van completely wrapped and get a new van every 5 years...I want to look successful and professional

get your logo!

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Just make sure you don't put an apostrophe where it doesn't belong like you did here. That's unprofessional.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I was driving behind a "Vacuum's" the other day. Maybe the guys name was Vacuum.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,702 Posts
Some localities require you to have your vehicles identified as such.

Consider it pay-once advertising: Once it's on there, the cost per day/mile/whatever is free!

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Yeah I got'cha. Not sure what I was thinking actually. I did not use the same mistake in the thread itself. Correction attempted.
I'm just being an azz, it's a super common mistake but I shake my head when I see it get past a sign maker and onto a truck!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Make sure you're not a bad driver with advertising on your truck, that could be bad advertising.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Make sure you're not a bad driver with advertising on your truck, that could be bad advertising.

I don't have my truck lettered, but I do have my dump trailer lettered because it sits on jobs as a billboard and hopefully to help prevent theft.

I've gotten three calls total from my lettered trailer in three years.

Two were from people on the road that said one of my guys was driving crazy and cut them off. I don't have any guys, it was me:laughing: And both times I was slowly merging into traffic with a turn signal on.

The third call turned out to be a nice job though:laughing:

All in all I wouldn't mind getting my truck lettered maybe with no phone number, just for the professional look. But for now I'm happy without it. But I'm also a one man show and stay busy without it. If you need to keep a few guys busy, it may be worth it to get your name out there a lil more.

Dave

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am a firm believer in lettering my trucks and forklift. A lot of generals I work with wont allow signs on the site. They cant stop the advertising on my truck and equipment. That way people know who is really doing the work. A good business sign is a sign of a good business. As already stated, don't drive like a nut bar with your name all over the truck lol.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I wouldn't expect 1 phone call from your logo'd work truck....the only call ive ever gotten from mine was from an overly aggressive driver I had to cut off because he wouldn't let me in

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't have any signage on my truck.
I don't really want to advertise the fact that there are tools in it.
I don't need to attract tire kickers.
Probably miss out on a few jobs though.
Everybody I do work for is a recomendation from someone I know.
I definately think about it sometimes.
I try to look professional by not driving a piece of crap, and by doing good work.

·
Super Moderator
27,684 Posts
I don't have my truck lettered, but I do have my dump trailer lettered because it sits on jobs as a billboard and hopefully to help prevent theft.

I've gotten three calls total from my lettered trailer in three years.

Two were from people on the road that said one of my guys was driving crazy and cut them off. I don't have any guys, it was me:laughing: And both times I was slowly merging into traffic with a turn signal on.

The third call turned out to be a nice job though:laughing:

All in all I wouldn't mind getting my truck lettered maybe with no phone number, just for the professional look. But for now I'm happy without it. But I'm also a one man show and stay busy without it. If you need to keep a few guys busy, it may be worth it to get your name out there a lil more.

Dave
All my trucks have signage, I've actually been reported to the office 3 times for cutting someone off. :laughing: I love it when the office number is forwarded to my phone, fun conversations. :clap:

I am not an aggressive driver really, but if I have my turn signal on to change lanes and someone is being an azz, I "ease" over anyway. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
All my trucks have signage, I've actually been reported to the office 3 times for cutting someone off. :laughing: I love it when the office number is forwarded to my phone, fun conversations. :clap:

I am not an aggressive driver really, but if I have my turn signal on to change lanes and someone is being an azz, I "ease" over anyway. :laughing:
That's exactly what I was doing too:laughing: I drive like a grandma most of the time, but sometimes you just have to force your way in!:laughing:

In those times I wish I had my cell number on the trailer so I could have a lil fun with them:laughing:

Dave

·
632 Posts
My partner and I lettered our work trailer when things slowed down. We are licensed as a general contractor and the trailer is lettered that way.
We can, and do build customs, or just frame, or just side......
The problem is that we prefer to work as a sub doing Millwork packages.

So when we are on the job site of a builder that prefers not to letter their trucks/trailers, there has been some confusion and questions. Even though it should be obvious what we are doing by that stage of the build.

I know it is a bit of a sore subject for at least one builder. Another one was hesitant also because of it.

I think that the trailer has been lettered for 3 years and has not brought in one call. Everything we do is by referrals.

Maybe in a larger market??

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I refer people who need concrete to a guy in town with a lettered truck. He was doing some work for the town and you can just tell who knows what they are doing. I also send people to another guy in town who does carpentry and roofing, general stuff . I know he is a decent guy.

Thing is both of those people are going to say it was referral, but I spot them from their trucks and the lettering. I get used to who is who and can spot them out of the corner of my eye.

If their trucks wernt lettered I wouldnt make the connection I do.

But my truck isnt lettered either. I honk at everyone .

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
having your company logo on a work truck/van is how you look professional...without it you look like a side jobber

I have my van completely wrapped and get a new van every 5 years...I want to look successful and professional

get your logo!
I wouldn't expect 1 phone call from your logo'd work truck....the only call ive ever gotten from mine was from an overly aggressive driver I had to cut off because he wouldn't let me in
So you letter your truck for what? To look professional, yet you don't get calls from it. Hmmm. I'd rather be professional, not look it.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
So you letter your truck for what? To look professional, yet you don't get calls from it. Hmmm. I'd rather be professional, not look it.
I actually agree with him. I think it looks professional but in the demographic I'm in its all about word of mouth. You can get leads from lettering but most of the time they are leads to people you don't want. People who don't know anybody that just want something done cheap or just want to use you for a price to use against the next guy. Wastes a lot of time. But again, demographics can be different.

I've actually considered lettering/company logo but not putting a phone number on it. That way, like was said above, it looks professional and people get used to seeing you and know that you're the guy doing the work on that nice looking house but you don't get the calls from people who are just out to screw you.

People who want quality work done around here ask their friends, family, and neighbors. It's the testimony that counts.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
This is the 4321st thread about vehicle lettering so I refuse to comment.

Just kidding, I don't keep count, but the debate never ceases to amaze me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts