Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a short yellow jacket 3 way extension. Goofball on the jobsite didnt lower the sissor lift all the way and the little bars that go down caught my extension cord and my 3 way.

He didnt realize it until he drove all over and the concrete wore spots in both my cord and the 3 way. Almost to the point there isnt much insulation left.

Ive heard stories about safety people cutting cords in two over a little cut in them.

What is the proper osha and safety way to fix cords with tears cuts ect?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've often taped mine up really well with with electrical tape and never had a problem. The only time when I saw a cord get banned was when it was frayed at the plug end and you could see the wires behind the insulation pulling away.. and this was while the cord was completely unattended.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You can only temporarily repair a cord until shifts end.

To follow OSHA standards, you need to cut the cord at the wearing spot and install a new cord end that matches the wiring.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The insulation isnt broken... just a little thin and i was wondering if i could wrap it in yellow tape just to be safe

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
You can only temporarily repair a cord until shifts end.

To follow OSHA standards, you need to cut the cord at the wearing spot and install a new cord end that matches the wiring.
I was always told replacement ends were a no go.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I was always told replacement ends were a no go.
I believe they are fine so long as an electrician does the termination.

But every once in a while you get an ******* that will say otherwise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wire is 12awg and 3 way is 10awg. Like i said they are not torn just wanna add sone tape to be safe. Dont want someone freaking out if they see tape on them

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
OK, I'm that *******...

Only factory ends & no tape.

How would you ever prove a Sparky installed the ends...

Fvcking with OSHA ain't worth it...:thumbsup:
You probably wouldn't like how temp power is run on construction sites here.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
OK, I'm that *******...

Only factory ends & no tape.

How would you ever prove a Sparky installed the ends...

Fvcking with OSHA ain't worth it...:thumbsup:
Yeah ! LOL.. I talked to a painter said he walked out of a pot-o John ..After he slammed the door and turned around OSHA was in his face.
Asked him If he used a hand sanitizer . The painter replies no! It was all out . OSHA said '' You should of had some in your pocket!''

Wrote him up ! If there's ever been a sorry bunch mofo's in this World It's OSHA!!!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Yeah ! LOL.. I talked to a painter said he walked out of a pot-o John ..After he slammed the door and turned around OSHA was in his face.
Asked him If he used a hand sanitizer . The painter replies no! It was all out . OSHA said '' You should of had some in your pocket!''

Wrote him up ! If there's ever been a sorry bunch mofo's in this World It's OSHA!!!
Did he ask to smell his fingers?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts