Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you figure differently when bidding commercial work v/s residential work.currenty job may requiere after hours work as well as dust protection of computers and workstations.what kind of warrantys are typical of small scale comm. work.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
bergenbldr said:
what do you figure differently when bidding commercial work v/s residential work.currenty job may requiere after hours work as well as dust protection of computers and workstations.what kind of warrantys are typical of small scale comm. work.
Well, that's a pretty broad question, given the numerous differences that can occur between the two, but it depends a lot of what type of "commercial work" you're talking about. Is it wood-frame or metal stud? Hollow metal door frames? ACT ceilings? MC cable on the electrical? What types of flooring? All of these are the "obvious" differences in materials and techniques that you'll need to factor into your pricing (and your subs' pricing).

With regard to the after hours work and protection, be prepared to lose a few hours every night to setting up and removing temp protection, extensive cleanup, moving "stuff" around, etc. Will your guys be expecting a little extra in their paychecks for the nightwork? I'm hoping they won't be working all day on one job and then hopping over to the night job?

Warranty-wise, a one-year warranty is pretty typical, just like in residential.

If you've got more details on the type/size of job, I may be able to help further. I'm the director of estimating for a commercial contractor here in NJ that will do around $40-50 million this year.

Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Our company has 4 production rates.
1.New construction large
2.New construction small
3.Repaint easy
4.Repaint difficult
No. 4 includes protection of furniture and such. All computers and telecommunication equipment must be disconnected by client prior to arrival. We will never touch those items.
We are a commercial painting company. What trade are you in?

Electro
http://www.drucksinc.com/

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we do mostly residential remodeling. commercial jobs are just a side these are mostly smaller jobs commercial contractors don't want .metal stud drop ceiling typical interior buildouts.the basic est. and nuts and bolt not a problem.estimating manuals are not very clear on how to ajust bid for conditions of job.at this level the contractors were bidding against do some truly awful work.we try stress quality not price.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The only difference between residential and commercial is that the latter tend to spec. more of a breakout. Why? I don't know. It actually costs them more because I charge for this.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Speaking of this a company here started by two women years ago whos first contract were downtown light poles that they had to sub because they didn't know how to paint. The two started with $200.00 and no ins. I think I heard that last year they did in the neighborhood of $2 million in sales. And they just landed the Dell plant that's being built here...a $1.5 million contract :eek:

Not bad for $200.00 start up capital.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I work on a lower margin for commercial work, but I add a little extra percentage in materials so there is no chance of running short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts