Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bidding a job to repair the ceilings in a historical commercial building. I have a ton of experience with residential plaster repairs but this project is a little different than what I normally deal with.

How do I secure the wire mesh to patch the 2'x2' holes in the ceiling when there is no wood in the ceiling? See picture

also, when I go to install the custom plaster moldings, there is no wood to anchor them into - what type of fasteners would i use?

normally I would pass on a job like this but with the way the economy is, i can not pass on any jobs. Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Scott,
you have to use metal lath more then likely ribbed would work the best, you use wire to tie the metal lath off, those holes are a easy fix, the ornate plaster can be repaired if you can post a wider view of the ceiling would be nice.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Yeah I agree with frank, id take some metal lath screw some backing on to in then run some crews carefully through the plaster and into the backing.

Then I'd use some 5 min mixed well with all purpose mud and give it it's first coat... I'm just guessing you'll skim (putty coat) the rest of the ceiling too.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Custom mouldings? Adhesive and some angled staples, then caulk holes & paint ...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
WHAT? Ben this is plaster, you have to tie the metal lath to the the metal lath that's there. also you don't use screws to attach plaster mouldings you use plaster.

·
Banned
215 Posts
If there's metal lath their then your right Frankawitz, but by the pictures it looks like their nothing their, I figured that's why he asked otherwise it'd be straight forward.

As for plaster I've used drywall & all purpose mud to repair several ... less likely to crack than new plaster IMO. due to shrinkage and such.

add backing or tie lath same thing for patches.

and not screws for molding just some adhesive and staples (to hold while paste drys)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I submitted my price and was the low bidder by $3K. Then I find out today that there is still one more guy putting a price in. I hope he doesn't low ball the job - we could really use the work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts