Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Contractor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm about to bid on a job with 40 commercial grade doors all with panic bars attached. I've installed thousands of doors through my hotel remodeling career but I've only done a few panic bars and that was a while back. I'm wondering approximately how long I should allow to install one standard 3-0 commercial mdf door and attach a panic bar? No need to delve into a discussion about experience, know-how, knowledge, efficiency etc, I'm just looking for an approximation from experience from anyone who's done a lot of these before. Thanks!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can usually install a panic bar in about 25mins if it's a surface mount, shorter once I get a few going.

·
Super Moderator
24,693 Posts
No access from exterior?

Door closer/kick plate?

Bottom sweep/threshold?

Exterior stop?

Mortise strike & cup?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A 36" slab will not require cutting the bar, but a smaller door will require cutting, not a big job, but it adds time, Also, you need to file the cuts clean, and you should run a magnet around the cut to remove filings that could end up in the latch causing binding.

25 minutes is more than enough time if it is just a panic bar.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
griz said:
No access from exterior? Door closer/kick plate? Bottom sweep/threshold? Exterior stop? Mortise strike & cup?
Drilling and tapping holes?

Top and/or bottom latches?

Handles?

Oh, and no matter what, the ABSOLUTE first thing you do is...

READ. THE. DIRECTIONS.

Seriously.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No door will have an exit device without a closer, so I would look into that also.
Add an other 15-20 min. For door closers.
Kick plates suck. I hate getting on the floor. I can't charge what I want to for those.
Most doors with panics will have kick plates.
Good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was talking strictly the panic bar. Closers either go great or take a whole, most of the panic bars I install are ordered to fit the door

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
griz said:
That's the papers, on the floor, with all that micro print, in 4 or 5 languages, that someone just wiped dog doo on or unloaded a whole mouthful of chew right on the 10 ring... and now you need them...:laughing::laughing:
Good thing he'll have 40 of em

·
Contractor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to put closers, kick-plates, panic bars, peep holes, smoke seals, bumpers, etc...I ended up bidding the job for about 30% more than I thought it would take...I didn't want the job to badly anyway. They didn't even hesitate on the price, probably could have added another 50% Oh well, start the job tomorrow...43 3-0 fire-rated doors to hang and 43 to take down and dispose of. Gonna eat my wheaties tomorrow morning :-D

·
Contractor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the responses. I've hung all the doors and hardware except for the panic bars. For anyone in the future who runs into this type of job I'd like to post my thoughts.

The doors went up as planned...10 min max to hang the door from laying on the floor to swinging. What got me on this job was taking the old doors down and moving the new ones into place... that took longer than hanging the doors themselves.

The first closer took me over an hour. The second took me 20 min. The third and 40 after that took less than 10 min per. Except for the jambs with poured in place jambs... we had to drill the metal then drill the Concrete then install the closer..

The one thing I didn't anticipate is that the panic bars are connected to safe locks... hotel key card locks. They don't come in for another week and we can't install panic bars until they come in. Hoping we don't run into any issues with those....

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Thanks again for all the responses. I've hung all the doors and hardware except for the panic bars. For anyone in the future who runs into this type of job I'd like to post my thoughts.

The doors went up as planned...10 min max to hang the door from laying on the floor to swinging. What got me on this job was taking the old doors down and moving the new ones into place... that took longer than hanging the doors themselves.

The first closer took me over an hour. The second took me 20 min. The third and 40 after that took less than 10 min per. Except for the jambs with poured in place jambs... we had to drill the metal then drill the Concrete then install the closer..

The one thing I didn't anticipate is that the panic bars are connected to safe locks... hotel key card locks. They don't come in for another week and we can't install panic bars until they come in. Hoping we don't run into any issues with those....
The key cards are usuallly a pain. Be prepared. But it all has to do with the learning curve. If you have a big bunch to do, you will figure out a system pretty quick.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Probably surface strikes, the easiest thing you will ever install.

·
Contractor
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can the safe locks be installed after the panic bars? That is what the hotel intended but I refused to drill holes in a brand new fire rated stain grade door without having the other side of the lock on site.. these are double doors to so the other side has to match the same height..

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Can the safe locks be installed after the panic bars? That is what the hotel intended but I refused to drill holes in a brand new fire rated stain grade door without having the other side of the lock on site.. these are double doors to so the other side has to match the same height..
Yeah certainly, but find out what model they are using so you can back set it the correct distance...because it's different if it's surface vs recessed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts