Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
backstory:

Had a complex burn me for $6k. Liened & all that legal headache. While doing work, I referred my local paint & floor shop and helped get them in the door.

I stopped work for non-payment 2 months ago.

While stocking up supplies the other day the salesman mentioned the possibility of returning to the customer with a PITA price. Business is business. And i should leave the emotion out of it. He's talked with them, & they are open to renegotiation.

I personally swore that client off. But what he said kinda makes sense. Messin with my head man...

Would you charge more & return...or just walk away...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
backstory:

Had a complex burn me for $6k. Liened & all that legal headache. While doing work, I referred my local paint & floor shop and helped get them in the door.

While stocking up supplies the other day the salesman mentioned the possibility of returning to the customer with a PITA price. Business is business. And i should leave the emotion out of it. He's talked with them, & they are open to renegotiation.

I personally swore that client off. But what he said kinda makes sense. Messin with my head man...

Are they paying off the 6K?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,510 Posts
If they paid up the $6K I'd think about it. I would also alter my business approach with them especially modifying the way the pay structure is done.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
backstory:

if they didn't pay the 6k why would they pay 8k?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To date I have been paid 4k outta 6. The pay structure was always changed on their part. First a net30 then a net45. Then when payments did roll in after the lien, it was in reverse order of invoices (11 total).

Anytime I contact corporate its the "we'll look into it routine".

I liened on day 60 of nonpayment. Lawsuit pending. I definately will not return until paid in full. My lawyer already advised me I would be retarded if I did. As it would not look good in court.

Word from the supplier & on site supervisor is I wasnt patient enough, & to learn from it and return. Just price accordingly & be more patient.

Personally, I told em the price would double just because of 2 things:

1) I now have to recoup losses due to legal fees

2) unreliability in payment

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Walk away... no RUN away! Really. They think that they have a sucker on the hook.

I look at it this way- If someone stiffs me the first time and then promises to may me double the next time, they are simply using a "credit card" that they don't intend on paying when the bill comes. Secondly, why would they offer to pay you more vs. just hiring another contractor for the original price?

For instance, we all know people who don't pay their utility bills. In most cases they will open a new account under a different/fake name or go to a completely different provider before paying off the old bill.

I've worked with organizations that will "lawyer up" before taking on a project to see how much they can "legally" get away with not paying or how long they can "legally" stall without paying you.

They already showed you who they were. Don't be surprised if they confirm this to be true.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I read a while back on a sales blog "The Hardest Calls to Make"

That is calling all past customers who didn't work out for whatever reason. The results were well worth it they said.

Of course you add some costs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Trust your gut....go back in time, and re-live the emotion of knowing that they are screwing you.

Read your notes, your demands for payment and their responses. I doubt that a healthy relationship can come from this. Any little hiccup will put you on edge, and that will ultimately end up in confrontation.

I have learned to elimnate the things that make my job difficult, this is one of them.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Emotionally: I am 100% happy to never work for them again.

Business: They own 100+ complexes nationwide. I have seen them have contractors drive from Indianapolis & dayton ohio to this particular complex. (southwest tip of indiana) That alone says something.

Which to listen to?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I have seen them have contractors drive from Indianapolis & dayton ohio to this particular complex. (southwest tip of indiana) That alone says something.

You're right. It says that all of the contractors in your local area got burned.
:whistling

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

Business: They own 100+ complexes nationwide. I have seen them have contractors drive from Indianapolis & dayton ohio to this particular complex. (southwest tip of indiana) That alone says something.

Which to listen to?
Can you opt out of this one, ask for final payment on the previous job, and let them know that you will be interested in working for them in the future, but right now is not a good time to take on this project.

If they still square up, and you still want the work in the future, just let him know you are available to him.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

Which to listen to?
I can tell you from past experience at another company, the reason guys usually have to bring in travelers is because they've burnt out the local subs and the new subs (out of town guys) just haven't been burnt yet.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
put your emotions aside and do what is needed business wise

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Payment in advance. When the account hits zero, you take your tools home. Permanent arrangement, not to be un-done after a few jobs and you're all pals again.

They'll say they won't do it (corporate policy, blah, blah), but they will, after the cost of bringing in travelers gets a little higher.

Edit: And you don't have the discussion until your existing bill is paid in full.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts