Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me elaborate...I have been told that in order to build, for example a hotel, over a certain number of stories high (that number varies from 3 to 5), that you have to be licensed in some way (Texas). I have searched thoroughly and can find no such requirement. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Texas does not have a GC license, only the mechanicals. Many municipalities will require you to register, and may have insurance requirements. Your best bet is to contact the AHJ in the area you plan on building and check with them.

If it is in an unincorporated area there is no AHJ.

·
AmCraft Manufacturing
31 Posts
My best guess will be to speak with a building inspector directly about this... It may vary from city to city, and also for the type of commercial/residential building it is. Many factors come into play... See if your local inspection agency can assist you with obtaining paperwork to start your project.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
HCGC, What code is the building under? Fire code? Wouldn't the P.E. licensed Structural, Mechanical, Civil, and Soil Engineers be used and needed by Law and business requirements? No loan if no Stamped prints.... No permit if no drainage plan....

"The tall bamboo gets cut off.." your large project will attract the attention of every Ten cent bureaucrat that isn't busy. even in Texas. Think federally.

Everyone/business has a first time, But why would anyone knowingly risk using a novice contractor(especially one that doesn't have any experienced large project personal) for a complicated endeavor?

Having once worked on a 6 story building for 2 days that didn't have any lifting apparatus installed for subs..... or trash chutes, after Two near death events, I left the 6 month behind project for greener, safer, better managed pastures.(that was run/owned by dishonest inexperienced P.E./GC, rare but exist).

Are you sure one of your partners/stakeholders if not all of them are not using your desire to grow/tackle larger work to profit from your ignorance of the scope of the work and barriers to production a several story building has? Does your company/you have the equity and reputation banked to survive all the mistakes you'll make as a novice in this specialty field?

At the least expect extra attention from all inspectors as the FNG mid-rise General contractor....

20 seconds on google, Dallas etc has a check list that actually made sense.... get with the BI as above... they will break you if don't play by their rules.

I don't know regarding Texas, but many areas, mid-rises are mostly Union work-forces because of skill levels and political considerations....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts