Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
Joined
·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8000 sq ft "Dollar Tree" store to bid on. The company has sent blue prints. I have looked these over and can somewhat decipher what they are saying, but this would be one job where if not bid correctly one could lose some serious money.

On the other hand if it's bid right, one could make some serious money. I have been trying to find an estimator to help me with the bid on this, but honestly don't know where else to look. I would be happy to pay a fee for the ability to submit a competetive bid.

If anyone out there has any thoughts I would appreciate it.
 

·
Custom Builder
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
Send it to me. I'll pick it apart if you pay me to.
Is it a sealed bid or open?
What advantages do you have, are you in from the ground, ect?

Oh yea, don't be deceived by my present residential status, I was a Union contractor for 6 years, had my fair share of the rat race.

Bob
 

·
...jammin
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
8K sq of wall to cover in paint, or it's an 8K sq area building?
 

·
...jammin
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
Can you figure out from the prints how much wall sq ft ?
Or is that the problem, you can't figure that out from the prints?
Or are you not familier with commercial bidding?
 

·
...jammin
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Its so much harder to bid something that isn't tangible, something you can't see and feel.
I agree, I don't want to bid on anything I can't put an eyeball on
But I can usually get an idea of what's going on from the blueprints
At least how much sq ft of wall that must be covered

If I was working strictly from a blueprint, I would want a second opinion too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
You need to break down the overall aspects of the job. New construction defenitely has more aspects, but the overall picture is the same. I'm assuming the prints have a legend/key? Find out the scale of the prints= normally 1/2"= 1'
of wall space. Take a ruler figure out your scale and start measuring. Realisticly you do not have to be 100 percent accurate, but this being said it also depends on the overall market your competing in. 1 coat primer, two top coats sprayed, are there windows/doors everywhere? Count up the windows and doors figure out how long it will take you to mask off everything. setup/cleanup. Can you spray the primer in one day with 2 people? How much are your materials? What's your labor rate? Are you prefinishing your doors/windows? Are you responsible for coating all the metal fitings/penetrations?

What trades are going to come in a mess up your finished walls? backrollings walls, fixing chips and dings.
If I was biding a job like this try to compare it against similar bids/completed jobs and then adjust from there.

My 2 cents worth- the new construction always takes 15-25 percent longer then you expect!!!

Peter
 

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
Joined
·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ProWallGuy said:
Blueprint/commercial bidding sucks.

I've done BP bidding a couple times, won some and lost some.
Its so much harder to bid something that isn't tangible, something you can't see and feel.
Yes, this is the problem, I've nothing to go by but BPs, if I could at least take a look at the building then I could get an idea for the cost involved, but when I have nothing but paper in front of me, it's very difficult. I think I will take some advice though and get the scale right so I can figure how much space needs painting.
 

·
Professional Tradesman
Joined
·
307 Posts
donb1959 said:
Yes, this is the problem, I've nothing to go by but BPs, if I could at least take a look at the building then I could get an idea for the cost involved, but when I have nothing but paper in front of me, it's very difficult. I think I will take some advice though and get the scale right so I can figure how much space needs painting.
Set of plans with no scale? Geez , does the finish schedule page even include finishes? I would be requesting a updated set of plans along with a specification manual, unless everything is defined in the finish schedule page or outlined on the interior elevations pages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Most commercial plans are either 1/4" or 1/8" (1/8 being the most popular). Use a scale to measure a door- it will usually be 3' wide, and that will tell you the scale of the drawings.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Hi,

First off, I haven't seen a Dollar Tree type plan yet...that didn't have either a telltale scale or MEASUREMENTS in which to check.

I'd like to also say that I bid about $50 million dollars of work per year, from prints, lol...and if one knows how to estimate in this fashion, there is no more risk than if the store actually existed.

BTW, all doors are not 3'-0" either but if they are an entry door, they probably are because of handicap requirements.

If someone drew the sketch without measurements, then you need to pass on this obviously but i haven't seen a bonafide set of drawings like this yet, and I've been pricing by prints since 1977.

Simply, if ya don't know how to read prints, don't attempt to learn how to read them when money is at stake.

Write me at [email protected] and I'll help you with the take-off, if you'd like, no charge.

Thanks,
Harry Carter
 

·
Professional Tradesman
Joined
·
307 Posts
Hey Harry,
Just a quick hi how are ya! Havent talked to ya in a while, how are things?

Richard_Gl
Glidden Painting, Inc.
From the olde boards...lol



Harry said:
Hi,

First off, I haven't seen a Dollar Tree type plan yet...that didn't have either a telltale scale or MEASUREMENTS in which to check.

I'd like to also say that I bid about $50 million dollars of work per year, from prints, lol...and if one knows how to estimate in this fashion, there is no more risk than if the store actually existed.

BTW, all doors are not 3'-0" either but if they are an entry door, they probably are because of handicap requirements.

If someone drew the sketch without measurements, then you need to pass on this obviously but i haven't seen a bonafide set of drawings like this yet, and I've been pricing by prints since 1977.

Simply, if ya don't know how to read prints, don't attempt to learn how to read them when money is at stake.

Write me at [email protected] and I'll help you with the take-off, if you'd like, no charge.

Thanks,
Harry Carter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
GPI said:
Hey Harry,
Just a quick hi how are ya! Havent talked to ya in a while, how are things?

Richard_Gl
Glidden Painting, Inc.
From the olde boards...lol
Hi Richard,

I'm doing great!

Nice to "see" you ;)

Harry
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top