Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40 gal. Electric Water Heater for two full bathrooms. I am remodeling my Master Bath, and I am planning on getting rid of the 17 year old water heater, which is located in a closet. I will be expanding the Shower into the closet... so you understand why I am really wanting to replace the tank water heater with a tankless.

I am looking at this Eemax EX190TC Series Two Electric Tankless water heater. At 3 gal/min the temperature increase is 43 degrees. I think this should be sufficient. Again, this water heater would need to supply hot water to two full baths. We live in North Texas, so I consider the incoming water temp to be moderate. (I am unable to post a link to the water heater at Plumberssurplus dot com.) It looks like I can buy one of these for a little more than $500. This seems reasonable.

My concerns are the quality of the water heater and the electrical upgrade I will probably need to make. Currently, the 40gal water heater installed is using 2x30 amp breakers. I would need to replace the breakers, I assume, with 2x40 amp breakers. Also, has anyone had any experience with these Eemax water heaters?

Thanks for any comments. I haven't ever installed a tankless before. So, if you have any tips, helpful info, etc., I will take it. :)

Z

·
4,617 Posts
At 3 gal/min the temperature increase is 43 degrees. I think this should be sufficient. Again, this water heater would need to supply hot water to two full baths. We live in North Texas, so I consider the incoming water temp to be moderate. (I am unable to post a link to the water heater at Plumberssurplus dot com.) It looks like I can buy one of these for a little more than $500. This seems reasonable.
Z
So, one shower at 2.5 gallons per minute with water temperature of 106 degrees, means that you should have at least 63 degrees otherwise you're not going to have a very hot shower. And 3 gallons a minute isn't much. I think I'd rethink this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tankless water heaters

I have had a lot of experience with both the Eemax and the Stiebel Eltron tankless water heaters. The Eemax is a good unit, but I would recommend that you get one that is a little bit bigger considering what you are talking about in the original post.

The incoming water temperature for most of the united states is 55 degrees so to get to the normal desired level of around 105 you would need about 60 degrees, the Eemax can't provide this. I would consider the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24, also available on the plumbersurplus.com website for around 660. It can do about a 65 degree increase at 2.5 GPM and has an overall user review of 4 and a half stars. This one does run on a 2x60 circuit breaker though. I know many customers who have used these before and been really happy with them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts