Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of yall have experience working on one? Looking at updating the 60 bathrooms. Not lookin for prices just experiences good and bad.

Complete tear out. New tubs, new tub surround, new tile and new vanities. Wall paper to stay though.

·
Kowboy
2,278 Posts
The "wallpaper to stay though" seems to be the toughest part. I'd never agree that my new stuff will match the old unless lots of molding or caulk was acceptable in writing. Either that or plan to repaper and bid accordingly.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Good luck saving the paper, most of those vanity tops look like they have 4 tubes of silicone holding them in.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda what I thought too. Guess I had better put something in the contract about that. If it goes that far that is.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and the owner is providing all of the material. One good thing about is that I cant miss estimate the material cost.

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
It wasn't comfort suites, but a holiday inn. Foreign owner, wanted nothing but cheap prices...pulled the line "give me a deal on this one and I'll use you again"...lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wasn't comfort suites, but a holiday inn. Foreign owner, wanted nothing but cheap prices...pulled the line "give me a deal on this one and I'll use you again"...lol. Good luck.
I've done about 10k in work for them so far. I figured he would try to get me to come off so I added about 5% to the cost and when he said something to me about being too high I acted like I did him a favor and knocked some off. Not my normal business practice but I took a risk. Will do the same again this time with the price too.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Is his name Patel?
His second cousin's brother's 14th uncle by marriage to his sister's father-in-law owns the one near us too! As well as all the gas stations, convenience stores and Dunkin' Donuts in town.

When the hostile mooslim takeover comes, we're all screwed. We won't be able to drive anywhere, smoke, get gas, buy lottery tickets, enjoy coffee & donuts, or stay in a hotel on vacation!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I've done a hotel remods a few times and the chains are very cheap. Corporate tells them what they have to do and they then have to figure out how to do it and still keep their business in the black. Mandated changes happen a lot, and some of them aren't needed as this look they have in one region isn't needed in another...but they gotta do it. Some corporates are more flexible than others regarding their franchisees, some not.

A lot of the work done is by the managers/owners, it's crap and they don't care. Why should they? People will just come there to sleep, spend a day or three, then never be back most of the time. As long as it's passable for them, it's fine.

The mom and pop places, they do everything and also, usually not very well. If either one has a maintenance person, it's a relative, a kid or a part timer that doesn't care, doesn't know, and is paid accordingly. For real work, they have licensed local people they use (plumb/elect/hvac).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts