Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Carpenter
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of planning a truck wash for semi trailors and am trying to come up with a solution for a sediment pit that will be as maintenance free as possible. The pit needs to capture gravel and dirt that comes into the wash with the trucks and gets washed into the drain, water needs to drain off of the sediment and the sediment is then removed some how. We were considering a pit that can be driven into with a skidsteer to scoop out sediment but that would need to be too big...grates or cover would need to be very heavy to support 100,000 lbs or so. Any ideas would be very much appreceated.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Check local regs. Around here most wash systems are required to drain through 3 1500 gallon septic tanks. Most cities require a maintenance plan to be performed on those tanks every three months. The plan usually requires the tanks be cleaned out by a vac truck. The first tank that the water goes to is usually full of sediment, the second is about half full, and #3 should be clean. The rest of the water goes into the city sewer system, as it still contains wash chemicals so it cant go through the storm system.

You mention cleaning out with a skid steer, why not look at using a mini ex to dip out the trench

·
Carpenter
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you JDavis, I have thought about using an excavator, however because I would like to keep that pit inside the building (don't know if that is legal) the excavator would not be as convenient inside a building. Living in Manitoba, the weather is too cold to service those tanks outdoors during the winter months. I am trying to come up with a plan to get away from vac trucks.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
This is in a rural area I saw this it was a semi wash bay with the three tank set up mentioned above. The thing that was different was they were concrete tanks with a steel linner so when they got full of crud. They would lift the steel linner out with an excavator. This would get 99% of the crud out with only a 5 gallon bucket left to hand scoop out.

Cole

·
Registered
90 Posts
my guess is your conservation permit will require both an oil separator and water purity filter, such as a vortechnic unit, to discharge surface runoff from truck-wash bays to daylight or storm. these get sized to the flows and pumped out regularly, which you then report to the state or a regulatory body of some kind. you might be able to skip the filter with a re-circ system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have designed several of these. As a matter of fact I just sent out a bid package for a project with a truck wash this morning.

I have designed 3 or 4 different kinds. All for industrial facilities.

One was trench with a, grate on top with bunch of spigots mounted in it and it "flushed" every hour or so. This led to a large sediment trap that was cleaned with front end loader. Trench with grate is only feasible on sites where small sediment is the norm. If you are going to get gravel 1"< particles, then the grate will get plugged.

Another I did was an open pit, that the trucks back into, and wash out. It has 2 identical bays, with a wier between, prior to heading to the pond. Basically, the trucks always enter the right bay, but a loader can clean both sides.

If you are inside a facility with limited room for the slope (you probably do not want to go steeper than 4:1. You may need to use the grate method. Check your building codes regarding the maximum distance between the grate bars. Could you fashion it so that one of the cranes in your building can pick the grate for cleaning?

The steel insert idea is a great one. If you can access the clean out with a crane, build a steel box with a grated lid, that inserts in the truck wash hold. Then lift it out, and trip the sediment into a dump truck. I have designed something almost exactly like that as well, but its job was to dump steel balls into a pulverizer.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
My family owns a carwash in a rural community and we were required to just put in a grease trap. We also have small sediment traps in each bay that we formed up when we poured the crete so that they can be cleared of silt and sediment every few days. The grease trap is set up so that a truck can pump out all of the waste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts