Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a 2009 F150 XLT extended cab - my first pickup. For years I've been working out of a modified 97 Jeep Cherokee.

The salesman at the custom truck shop told me that you can't have racks, a saddle box, and a tonneau cover installed together but had a hard time explaining why.

Although I work mostly in small rural and coastal communities, I live in the city and park on the street. I'd like to have a locking bed cover to cut down on trips to the basement with semi-important items at the end of the day.

Anyone have experience with headache rack/box/cover combinations? I don't want to get a cap.

My truck came with a soft tri-fold cover. It's fine I suppose but I don't like the tri-fold design, would prefer a roll-up.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take a look at Bak and Diamondback.

I see how a ladder rack like the sliding TracRac, for instance, would be hard to mate with a cover.

Any ideas why a cover designed to fit behind a saddle box wouldn't work if you also had a headache rack?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I will take a look at Bak and Diamondback.

I see how a ladder rack like the sliding TracRac, for instance, would be hard to mate with a cover.

Any ideas why a cover designed to fit behind a saddle box wouldn't work if you also had a headache rack?
Bak is garbage, DiamondBack are excellent. They have a 16" saddle box insert, and their covers work with KargoMaster racks...best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There is a guy around here who makes tonneau covers for ladder racks. They end up looking like a cap, but you can roll them up.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inner10 said:
Bak is garbage, DiamondBack are excellent. They have a 16" saddle box insert, and their covers work with KargoMaster racks...best of both worlds.
Is that saddle box insert made of plastic? I may have seen that but the plastic turns me off a bit.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aaron_a said:
There is a guy around here who makes tonneau covers for ladder racks. They end up looking like a cap, but you can roll them up.
I'd be interested in taking a look if you have a website or some contact information for that fellow.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
http://neillycanvas.com/

the website seems to be all heavy truck stuff, I dont see the pickup covers on there. I've seen some dude driving around with one for a while though, and finally got around to asking him about it the other day.

He said this company made it for him, and he seemed really happy with it. I'm considering looking into it at some point. I have a tool cap with man door, and I kind of hate it right now. This guy had the system one tradesman package with that tarp set up, that looked like a much more versatile set-up.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Is that saddle box insert made of plastic? I may have seen that but the plastic turns me off a bit.
No it's 1/8 aluminum, really light and strong. It is made to fit and drops in the box of the truck and hangs onto the rails of the truck bed, then the tonneau cover closes over it. It is incredibly secure and we'll thought out, it also comes in and out in seconds, literally.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Diamondback isn't cheap, but it's well designed and well made. Also made in the USA.

I had one lock go defective and they fedexed me a replacement that day.

Reactions: Agility

·
Registered
199 Posts
Diamondback came on my truck, awesome cover. Would love to get a saddle box to work with it. I use the system1 rack but can't use with cover, I can leave the rails on an use the cover but no tool box....

I'd love to get one of the drawer units for the bed

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Saw this recently http://decked.com/

Looks good. I have been wrestling ladders racks vrs tonneua cover for awhile. I need both and really need more tool storage. I love the versatility of a pick up, downside is keeping things dry. I feel much versatility is lost with a cap. At that point buy a van.

This winter I have been very thankful for the bed cover. In a perfect world I would get a small box truck for work only. Cant swing it right now.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm drooling over the DiamondBack covers now. I hadn't considered hauling materials on top of the cover like that. The SD cover can hold 400 pounds and the HD can hold 1600 pounds. With the DiamondBack cover I could forgo buying a Weatherguard saddle box and wind up with more tool storage.

The Decked system holds 2000 pounds but looks to be less versatile for my routine. It is quite a bit cheaper, though.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just "won" a cover on eBay for $30.00 local pickup. It's a roll up Ford factory tonneau cover about 7 years old with limited use.
With my front ladder rack (back ladder rack is removable) and tool box I have about 4'6" of open bed I want to cover.
Going to cut up the rails and cover to make it fit this area.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just "won" a cover on eBay for $30.00 local pickup. It's a roll up Ford factory tonneau cover about 7 years old with limited use.
With my front ladder rack (back ladder rack is removable) and tool box I have about 4'6" of open bed I want to cover.
Going to cut up the rails and cover to make it fit this area.
Score! Could you keep us updated? I'd love to see how that turns out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts