Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I need a little advice. I have learned a lot on this site. I am renovating a home that was two 19th century homes combined into one in the 30's. All is going well except that I need to get some proper support columns into the basement. At the moment there is one adjustable column supporting the end of an 8"x8" beam. This beam does not span the entire building and rest on the block foundation. One end of the beam is pocketed into the foundation. The other end just runs wild. The beam is 15' long and 48" of the wild end supports a load bearing wall above it. The adjustable column is really stout with a 1 1/2" screw. What I'm worried about is point load on the basement floor. This column has been here for 75 years and is holding just fine. But with the extent of my renovation (complete gut out to studs), the building inspector is not going to let it fly. I also have another column less than a foot away that was set in the floor when it was poured. That column supports a beam that runs perpendicular to the first. This second beam is 24' long and is rotten. I am going to replace it with an lvl beam. Do to space limitations I can't tie the first beam into the second. I also have one other beam that runs wild and only has a 4"x4" holding it up (only supporting floor joists of first floor). My question is, where can I find good columns (not Home Depot cheapies) and installation suggestions. I know I have to break up the floor and put in footings. Can I use tube forms and still meet code? Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I need a little advice. I have learned a lot on this site. I am renovating a home that was two 19th century homes combined into one in the 30's. All is going well except that I need to get some proper support columns into the basement. At the moment there is one adjustable column supporting the end of an 8"x8" beam. This beam does not span the entire building and rest on the block foundation. One end of the beam is pocketed into the foundation. The other end just runs wild. The beam is 15' long and 48" of the wild end supports a load bearing wall above it. The adjustable column is really stout with a 1 1/2" screw. What I'm worried about is point load on the basement floor. This column has been here for 75 years and is holding just fine. But with the extent of my renovation (complete gut out to studs), the building inspector is not going to let it fly. I also have another column less than a foot away that was set in the floor when it was poured. That column supports a beam that runs perpendicular to the first. This second beam is 24' long and is rotten. I am going to replace it with an lvl beam. Do to space limitations I can't tie the first beam into the second. I also have one other beam that runs wild and only has a 4"x4" holding it up (only supporting floor joists of first floor). My question is, where can I find good columns (not Home Depot cheapies) and installation suggestions. I know I have to break up the floor and put in footings. Can I use tube forms and still meet code? Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Any good lumber yard will carry concrete filled lolly columns, those adjustible jacks for the most part are considered in my opinion a secondary jack made to straighten a floor joist or take some of the bounce out of a floor .People often use them for more then that not really knowing what the weight carrying capacity is on them.The lolly column will carry a 2 storie home and you will need to talk with the building official on the spacing for your area.
Big jax

1 - 2 of 2 Posts