Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has a simple technique for colorwashing.... there are several variations with just as many applicators and mixtures. I have been doing in store demos using soft upholstry foam and a mixture of paint & glaze. I would be interested in seeing how many of the painters here are into decorative painting as an add on to their business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,606 Posts
I'm sure ProWallGuy will disagree but Faux finishing is really replacing wallpaper for younger couples... and there's a lot of money to be made.

My biggest problem with faux is that I'm too much of a perfectionist. I hate trying to make everything even, which seems impossible.

Have you held any how-to workshops for faux finishing in your store Mark? I was in Home Depot one day while they were holding one and it was extremely popular. It seems like you could get some more people into your store if you advertised the event.

Just an idea.

-Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nwingate said:
I'm sure ProWallGuy will disagree but Faux finishing is really replacing wallpaper for younger couples... and there's a lot of money to be made.

My biggest problem with faux is that I'm too much of a perfectionist. I hate trying to make everything even, which seems impossible.

Have you held any how-to workshops for faux finishing in your store Mark? I was in Home Depot one day while they were holding one and it was extremely popular. It seems like you could get some more people into your store if you advertised the event.

Just an idea.

-Nathan
We do classes every month and I also do some demos and play with the products for customers on Saturdays....very popular. I like to use the term "decorative painting" instead of faux which really implies you are trying to copy something ie: marble or fresco. Colorwashing actually is one of the most fool proof and easy to master. Check out www.paintschool.com and you might be interested in this guys video or dvd.....he is a painting contractor.
 

·
Back from the dead...
Joined
·
6,646 Posts
I'm sure ProWallGuy will disagree but Faux finishing is really replacing wallpaper for younger couples...
Your darn skippy I disagree. :D

Late 80's thru mid 90's you are correct, but around here, people are getting tired of the fauxs, and paper is picking back up. It is a real challenge for home owners and decorators to use paper in the new 'open floor plans' that are so popular now. No starting and stopping point for individual rooms.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
color washing

Color washing is very easy, the problem is picking your colors. After you pick you colors, buy a quart of paint in the color you picked, then mix the quart into a gallon of acryic glaze. I like to spritz the wall lightly with water to slow down my dry time. Then use a brush, roller or sponge, and apply your glaze in various areas. Then apply your second color in the other areas, use a piece of plastic to blend the colors, and soften using a rag or blending brush. If you have any questions drop me an email, I'll be happy to help. I just found this message board on a google search. I hope to pop in and post more.
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
colorwashin

I am not a contractor, but am willing to try my hand at colorwashing. I have a fairly large room, and want to creat the "old-world" style effect (i.e, brownish-orange). I've tried blending a yellow and orange on a scrap board, but instead of the "old-world" I get neon orange. What colors should I be using?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Colors

Base coat Antique white by Duron or razee paints.
Glaze
color 1- burnt umber tint in Glasic acrylic glaze
color 2- raw sienna tint in Glasic acrylic glaze

If yo need any other info mail me
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,606 Posts
Mark or anyone...

Would you be interested in writing a HOW TO article for DIYers? This seems to be a very popular topic. Any pictures you could provide would be great too.

Let me know if anyone is interested....Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually did a demo class yesterday and have some pics of the boards I did using te new Sunny's Good Time Paint colorwashes...... they turned out good and the stuff is a pleasure to work with. Can I post them somewhere ?Its 239kb and my limit is 100kb ??....How would I do this ?


Nathan said:
Mark or anyone...

Would you be interested in writing a HOW TO article for DIYers? This seems to be a very popular topic. Any pictures you could provide would be great too.

Let me know if anyone is interested....Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hi,
I am new here and to faux/decorative painting.
I have a simple question about color washing,which color do you put on first,the lighter or darker color?
I,too,was going for the earth tones,Tuscan look.
Thanks so very much,
Jenn A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Jenn A said:
Hi,
I am new here and to faux/decorative painting.
I have a simple question about color washing,which color do you put on first,the lighter or darker color?
I,too,was going for the earth tones,Tuscan look.
Thanks so very much,
Jenn A
I usually go light to dark. My recipe works well on flat paint too. If you get too dark of an area, you can always make another wash out of the base coat to soften/hide. Or add a little more of your "light" paint to the wash mixture to make it a little more opaque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Exroadog said:
I usually go light to dark. My recipe works well on flat paint too. If you get too dark of an area, you can always make another wash out of the base coat to soften/hide. Or add a little more of your "light" paint to the wash mixture to make it a little more opaque.
Thank you so much,I appreciate it.
Have a great day,
Jenn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Jenn,

If you are looking for a Tuscan finish, apply a light color base coat. On top of that you'd apply a two darker color glazes. I personally apply both to the wall, then blend them with a terry towel. For exapmple, I work in a 4 x 4 section and fill it in with the two colors, very randomly. If I want a darker finish, I use more of the darker color, etc.

Then depending on the look you desore, you can soften with a "badger brush" or leave alone for a more textured look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
If you are looking for a Tuscan finish, apply a light color base coat. On top of that you'd apply a two darker color glazes. I personally apply both to the wall, then blend them with a terry towel. For exapmple, I work in a 4 x 4 section and fill it in with the two colors, very randomly. If I want a darker finish, I use more of the darker color, etc

Thank you very Much Richie :) I am going to attempt it pretty soon.I hope I don't mess it up but if I do I guess I can just paint over it!
Jenn A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Hi Folks,

I’m a painter doing interior repaints. I do decorative finishes but it’s just not popular out here in the woods I live in. It’s a shame because I truly enjoy doing them.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top