Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again,
I have a vanity project coming up that based on the pictures I've seen, is going to require color in the top coats. We've been using the wb poly for all of our clear coats. I don't have spray equipment so I'm limited to brushing/rolling. I'm not the senior man on the project so I won't have the final say on what's done, but I would like to be able to suggest some possible courses of action and for my own personal knowledge and skill set. So, can wb poly be colored successfully and with what?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you talking about industrial urethanes, or wb poly varnish? If it is varnish, there may be spotting or color float, as these products are not generally manufactured (formulated) with a tint strength. to accept colorant. As you know, they generally are applied over stained surfaces.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are applying WB polyurethane over oil based polyurethane, then WB doesn't match well with oil-based stains. First of all you should have to rough up the stained surface slightly before applying WB polyurethane. Apply a very thin coat with the help of fine brush, foam pad or cloth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are applying WB polyurethane over oil based polyurethane, then WB doesn't match well with oil-based stains. First of all you should have to rough up the stained surface slightly before applying WB polyurethane. Apply a very thin coat with the help of fine brush, foam pad or cloth.
It was wb poly over oil based stain but no oil based poly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts