Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Example: Fifteen rooms twelve colors including the ceilings.

My question is this. What kind of fee do you add for all these color changes and clean ups. It's added a serious amount of time to the job and labor. I was thinking something arbitrary like and extra $100 per color.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Will that $100 extra cover ALL your extra costs?

For me it all depends on the job. It really doesnt take any extra time for most color changes. You still have to do a nice cut no matter what color. And most colors will cover in 2/coats.

But, if they were to choose a dark color like red, I would charge for 3/coats

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMGP said:

For me it all depends on the job. It really doesnt take any extra time for most color changes. You still have to do a nice cut no matter what color. And most colors will cover in 2/coats.

But, if they were to choose a dark color like red, I would charge for 3/coats
Right I do the same thing. What I am talking about is actually changing colors 2-3 times a day. When your a small company like us you only have so many brushes and rollers. Even if we had an infinite amount of brushes and rolloers I wouldn't want to wash up 2-3 colors worth of them at the end of the day.

You're right it doesn't take that long to change colors, maybe 20 minutes for each, but with 3 colors, pans, rollers and brushes, thats an hour by the end of the day. So maybe just adding an hours worth of labor per color would take care of it over the course of the job.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JMGP said:
No the $100 would be for only the color changes. Seems a bit high now that I think about it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Standard bid is for three colors/ w/c/t IF they want to change colors we charge a fee of $125 per color. There is a lot of downtime and expense to changing color. Washing brushes, rollers, buying materials. If you paint an entire house with lets say linen wht and wht flat, and wht semi you will be left with about a gallon of each at the end of the job. Add 15 colors- add 15 half gallons and 1/4 gallons left over at the end of the job. Do the math, it should cost a lot more for colors

·
Registered
267 Posts
Premier,

I think we were talking about labor cost.

Of course you change your cost accordingly with materials.

My labor and materials cost are always separate.

When it comes to washing brushes etc. does it really take more time to wash a brush with red paint than a brush with white paint? I guess if you are washing multiple colored brushes during the day from switching colors. Does it take more time to buy red paint than white paint? (Call it in if you dont want to wait) the only "real" extra time I see is cutting in. and if you are a professional it shouldnt be THAT much extra time.
I guess what ever works for you. Right?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
We generally don't initially charge more for different colors, as we mainly do repaints. I could see if you would need to charge more for new construction, because you are already forced to bid by sf, and not on a room by room basis. I do a take-off and give an initial proposal. If accepted, then we iron out specific finishes for each area, and then a final price is given. I thrive on jobs with multiple colors, because these types of jobs look great on film (for marketing purposes), as where basic neutral colors through-out don't show up as anything.
Check out the pic of a recent job we did, every room in the house was a different color, from mustard, to lime, to red, to blue, to brown.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ProWallGuy said:
We generally don't initially charge more for different colors, as we mainly do repaints. I could see if you would need to charge more for new construction, because you are already forced to bid by sf, and not on a room by room basis. I do a take-off and give an initial proposal. If accepted, then we iron out specific finishes for each area, and then a final price is given. I thrive on jobs with multiple colors, because these types of jobs look great on film (for marketing purposes), as where basic neutral colors through-out don't show up as anything.
Check out the pic of a recent job we did, every room in the house was a different color, from mustard, to lime, to red, to blue, to brown.
What your talking about here Pro is exactly why I started this thread. So do you add a little something in your labor column for all the extra wash up or not? Keep in mind that I estimate by SF pretty religeously.

EDIT: sorry Pro I asked a question that you answered in your initial post. I hear ya.
ProWallGuy said:
I could see if you would need to charge more for new construction, because you are already forced to bid by sf,

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ProWallGuy said:
Actually, all brush cleaning is done at the shop, never in the clients home. Whoever wants an extra hour that day can take all the set-ups/brushes back to the shop or home and do the maintenance thing.
We don't have any employees, so yea we have to throw them in a bucket and take them home and clean them in the tub...

If we need to clean a brush on the job we hope they have a washbasin sink in their basement or we fill a bucket with water or solvent and dispose of the wash water later.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad to see some true professionals.

I am pretty much on the same page as Pro & Humble. When it comes to pricing, clean-up, etc.

I only have 2 employees so they know to take there brushes home and wash them.

And they dont charge me for it! :D Its all part of being a painter. Clean up after your self.

I always clean the sprayer and all the other equipment. Im pretty anal about it so I like to do it.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts