Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone once post a "color acceptance" form for the owners to sign when chooseing colors, I would really appreciate that as Ive ran into the color customers from hell. Im out about $900.00 in time and matierials due to color changes and indescion thanks.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
you don't charge them for changing the colors? You have already painted and then they change the colors?

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Humble Abode said:
you don't charge them for changing the colors? You have already painted and then they change the colors?
This is the second time they have changed the color. Today I will write a change order for my time involved with the color change as well as matierials, if they dont wish to sign the order I will ask that I get paid for what Ive done to this point and we can part ways

·
Banned
187 Posts
Don,

I include the colors and sheen in my proposal like this:

Part III - Painting
Includes two coats of paint as described below:

Trim - Metal - Drip edge, soffit, gutters and downspouts
Wood - Fascia
Color: SW #_____ / Satin Sheen

Doors - Wood - Entryway

Metal - Garage

Siding - Stucco / Masonry - Body

I also include this paragraph on my "Terms and Conditions" page:

Unforeseen Conditions: This proposal is based on visual conditions. Should unforeseen conditions arise that could not be determined by visual inspection prior to starting work, such additional work shall be performed on a Time and Material Basis, after you have been notified of such. If, after the job starts, a color change is required, I will have to charge for the Time and Material expenses incurred on the original color. The hourly rate for this and all other work is $45.00.

Hope this helps.

Tom Rohland, Jr.
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

The Personal Attention Your Home Deserves​

·
Banned
187 Posts
Don,

I forgot to include this "important" paragragh in my last post:

Part X - Change Orders

This is only a proposal and your acceptance is subject to my approval in order to make this contract binding.

If after you agree to this work, you desire any changes or additional work, the cost of all revisions must be agreed upon in writing.

Colors should be chosen one week prior to the start date. An additional cost will be charged for color changes made after commencement of work.

If I find any rotten wood I will bring it to your attention. I have carpenters available to perform any repairs you may need. You will be notified of all needed carpentry work before it is done. Carpentry work is $45.00 per hour plus materials. (end)

This helps to cover my tail. I like to lay it ALL out on the table when I'm presenting my proposal. I show all of my cards prior to starting the job. No surprises. No questions.

This way I learn what cards the potential customer is holding and hopefully they are playing the same game. If not, I can then decide to Hold or Fold.

Good luck and strive for a Win-Win situation.

Tom Rohland, Jr.
Ranger Painting & Pressure Cleaning, Inc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace

I use bid sheets that include the change of "any of the above" written, and I make em sign it. I make sure to include the color and sheen in the bid.
This has always covered my backside.

Peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts