Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have a college degree in something other than a construction related field that are now in the construction field? What is your degee in? What brought you to the construction field? My neighbor has an accounting degree and now owns his own hvac and plumbing business. I have one degree in education, am finishing up another in HRD and have started a construction business.

Just curious,

Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an associates in electronics
bachelors in education
master in psychology

I have met and been taught by carpenters who have masters degrees, one had a PhD in physics, one used to be a corporate lawyer.

I met the first woman to graduate from the caprentrs union. She had a masters degree in english.

I have met trades people who are high school dropouts. IQ ability has nothing to do with college degrees. Having a degree is proof of commitment and hard work but not proof in every case you are smarter than those who do not have them. All education is good even if you do not work in the field you studied.

Some guys feel intimidated by those who went to college. I have met dummies with college degrees and dumb high school graduates.
Most people look down on blue collar workers. I don't because my grandfather was a plumber and he went to the 6th grade back in his day(early 1900's). I met a lot of tradespeople who have advanced degrees.

Bill Gates dropped out of college.

Norm Abrams was on his way to medical scool and had to decide if he would go that route or be a carpenter which he loved to do. He probably makes more than most doctors today. He has a bachelors in biology.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BS in business: Marketing
MBA

Pat

·
Registered
313 Posts
School of Extremely Hard Knox (the extremes were my own fault).

Know a Project Manager who was Criminal Law with an FBI job lined up. Fell in love with construction as he worked his way through school.

Know an English major who likewise worked his way through in construction and decided it was the life. He is an office manager, or, Junior Project Manager.

When I was a kid I worked with a Philosophy Major from Harvard at a Trailways bus station. We had fun working together and he remains an unforgetable character in my life.

The only thing that matters about college is survival, which entails learning how to learn. Your fellow club members of graduates will rightly respect you for that, but don't expect that from members of the dirt.

You got to decide for yourself. If you have drive and ambition, no obstacle will stand. No matter which way you turn your feet.

So what the hell you asking us for? Jkg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a Computer Science degree from University of Illinois, but theres no way in hell im gonna spend my life sitting in front of a computer screen under 4-5 different bosses, working for a low salary with the potential to lose my job any time and not being able to find another one for months. The computer biz is flooded with indians and chinese just like the construction biz is flooded with mexicans.

The reason im getting into construction/renovation is cause id like to parlet that with real estate and maybe some day become a builder/developer.

Till then I think my college degree could qualify me for some sort of management position, maybe assistant superintendant and work my way up?

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
WallyP said:
Till then I think my college degree could qualify me for some sort of management position, maybe assistant superintendant and work my way up?
What? Not another young whipper snapper who thinks he can just walk in and start out at $30hr. Start at the BOTTOM like the rest of us! Now go get me a keg of nails!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
TimNJ said:
What? Not another young whipper snapper who thinks he can just walk in and start out at $30hr. Start at the BOTTOM like the rest of us! Now go get me a keg of nails!! :cheesygri
And make sure they're 'toe-nails'!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
21 Posts
BS: English literature.

Couldn't find a job. Got one and left too early. Temped for ever. Then started working for a landscaper at $10 an hour. I actually learned a lot about business temping and working in an office for a while.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey WallyP, I see you are in Delray Beach. Have you tried to hook up with a large general contractor in your region? I recommend RJ Griffin & Co., but you are on your own.

http://southeast.construction.com/features/archive/0504_Feature5.asp

In any event, good luck is unnecessary. You will make your own, and I have confidence in that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts