Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, was looking for opinions on how to properly nail off a collar tie to a rafter.

The builder I'm currently subbing for told me yesterday that you shouldn't nail off collar ties in a line following the roof pitch but rather nail them off completely randomly so as to avoid creating a fault line in the rafter.

I've never had anyone tell me this in the 10 or so years of my career and was looking for some other opinions, I have no problem doing it his way but wanted to double check and see what you all thought.

I will upload some pictures at lunch time of what I did.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
Random nailing pattern. A fault line so to speak would occur in a row/line but I dont think it would affect the rafter. It would reduce the strength of the tie if parallel to the tie

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
If your talking rafter ties elevated off the plate with a low slope through bolting replaces clusters of nails

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys just wanted to double check him for my own knowledge. He's a bit of a maverick and some of the stuff he does is not anything I've ever seen any of the other carpenters I've worked with do so I always question which way is correct.

Going forward I will definitely make sure the nails are randomly placed

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Sounds like an idiot who overthinks everything... Like me. I've also thought about the very same issue and I do try to do a pattern that doesn't put too many nails in line with the grain. If you're talking rafter ties, there are situations where code requires a lot of nails- 15 in some cases. So it does maybe require a little thought.

·
Design Build
4,110 Posts
Hey guys, was looking for opinions on how to properly nail off a collar tie to a rafter.

The builder I'm currently subbing for told me yesterday that you shouldn't nail off collar ties in a line following the roof pitch but rather nail them off completely randomly so as to avoid creating a fault line in the rafter.

I've never had anyone tell me this in the 10 or so years of my career and was looking for some other opinions, I have no problem doing it his way but wanted to double check and see what you all thought.

I will upload some pictures at lunch time of what I did.
Follow code for size/count. I always provided nails (3.25" x .131 HDG) min.

Typically in my world, I do (3) face-nailed from collar tie side in a triangle pattern, and (3) face-nailed from the rafter side (back nailed) in an offset triangle pattern.

Reactions: Golden view

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Been a while since I referenced 802.5.2 but it tops out at 39!!! nails per connection.

Reactions: Rio

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I believe in this situation they are technically rafter ties as they are set toward the middle of the span on this 12 pitch roof. Im gonna go take a look in the code book and make sure we fastened them properly.

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I believe in this situation they are technically rafter ties as they are set toward the middle of the span on this 12 pitch roof. Im gonna go take a look in the code book and make sure we fastened them properly.

12/12 is a 45 degree. Very strong. I'd be more concerned with a less pitched roof.

Mike.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
If its a tray ceiling above the plate it's a rafter tie still.

If there is a normal flat run plate to plate, then mid rafter is makes it a collar tie.

Technically neither should be mid span. Collar ties are about 4 ft O/C in the upper third and code limits rafters ties to the lower third.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
What holds the rafters from spreading? A structural ridge beam capable of handling half the roof load, or these ties you speak of?

·
Designer/Contractor
3,480 Posts
And thats where it makes wayyyy more sense to through bolt
Sounds good, is there a specific ratio for nails to through bolt? Some inspectors and definitely some plan checkers would be wanting to know that. It makes a lot of sense, less chance of splitting the collar tie or the rafter for that matter.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
The design professional must have a cheat sheet on the sheer values but I don't. I have done a few jobs in the past where we took that route.

Always a pair, normal rules 2" from the edge's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What holds the rafters from spreading? A structural ridge beam capable of handling half the roof load, or these ties you speak of?
Its really an odd situation but the ties, this roof has a single ridge board. I say it's odd because we also built an almost floating floor system that ties half the roof back to a center beam so that alleviates some of the spreading forces as I understand it.

I'll try and upload some pictures if the site will let me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts