Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,843 Posts
When it get 0 or below is pretty much where I draw the line anymore . Just to hard on equipment and the old body.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It was zero here this morning, I think it's warmed up to five now! The guys sat around the shop bull****ting for about an hour and a half this morning, then went home! Haha

·
Registered
534 Posts
We already worked one day this year at minus 30 celcius. The wind was calm otherwise the windchill factor would have sent us home. Tools don't want to work at these temps. Comes a point where you are just wasting time and money.

·
Registered
852 Posts
-20-25 with windchill. Beyond that its putting hours in and doing nothing. Yesterday was -28 and we worked a half day on the main floor as it was all closed in. Today is -32, too cold to be on a third floor trying to put the deck on. Weekend is up to -5 so the boys agreeded to take the couple days off and work all weekend instead.
Coldest we have worked in, truck said -29 without windchill. Bitter cold at them temps. And thats C not F

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I have worked in minus 10 F with wind chills of 35 below F. It is pointless!

We draw the line at about 10 F. Unless it is sunny, dry, and not windy.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I HAVE worked in the -30F range, growing up on a farm. I WILL work in 20F weather but not all day. I don't mind going out for cuts, etc. but I'm not going to stand out there for 8 hours. I did one last year that was in the single digits to the teens for almost a week and we were so slow I barely made any money.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When we had that cold weather about three weeks ago, we were pulling concrete forms off in 0 degree temps all day. The wind picked up and we were miserable. My body was so wrecked I had to take the next day off. Too much.

·
Punching above his weight
11,461 Posts
Cold isn't so bad to me. Do what you gotta do.

Snow is another. Last time I did it I swore I'd never do it again. Boss even told me to go home. I said no, I got this! hah I did not in fact have it. Van sucked in the snow. No roads were plowed, everything was wet and dirty. Fell down. Yard was open, but an absolute mess. Awful. Never again.
I called out today.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
In the past I framed a 1st floor subfloor on a 6 unit condo on the coldest recorded temp in Cincy history -25 f ::eek:

http://scottdimmich.com/2013/01/18/36-years-ago-today-the-coldest-morning-in/

With wind chill, I've done -60f .
Why? So I could have future bragging rights!

Today, no way I would even attempt!:no:

Eventually I concluded that my body didn't heal fast enough to put it through the cold. I rarely wore gloves, & it took it's toll on my hands. Then I became an interior trim guy!:whistling
Joe

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i asked because it is going to be -25 + monday here.
was in the yard today and ran in to a old bud and he asked if i remembered the time that we worked with heating bads under our karhart in 1983 it was -30 with high wind we needed the cash.
with over 100 new homes going up in town now you know there will guy out in it all of next week :no:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hey all we got easy compared to a lot of you out there. My hats off to ya.

I have worked in single digits many times. When it's inside and wind blocked not bad at all.
Up on the rooftops I've in single digits knock off at 1-2pm (1/2day) when we gotta keep things moving. The cold is not that bad when your framing and it's the wind when that kicks up your face freezes and hands are gone.

We picked some a set of under armor cold gear of the crew and 2-part tech parkas they are in love with me. I have always worn under armor and tech gear because I can not stand the bulk / umpula feel of car hart.
I've great luck with the ninja nitrile gloves (red) sold by uline.com It's the snow, ice and rain in winter just shuts us down.

Good luck out there and be careful.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've done framing in wind chills in exess of -40c. guns don't work.
Sat in the stands for Grey Cup 95 with wind chill colder that that.
Canadians eat cold temperatures and spit ice cubes. :thumbsup:
Would I do it again ... NO F*****g Way. :no:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no way will i be out in it next week to old but i know there will be other guy out in it to pay the bills.:thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Worked Thurs & Fri this week starting temps -5 & -6 Farneheit, warmed to 10-low teens. Mudsills, setting TGIs, and decking. The only time it even felt warm was carrying subfloor panels which the winds didnt help with!

I'm not getting any younger apparently. Just glad that Mon (expected high durring day -9) got called already. Tues is supposed to be a high of 0... We'll see what happens then.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I've done framing in wind chills in exess of -40c. guns don't work.
Sat in the stands for Grey Cup 95 with wind chill colder that that.
Canadians eat cold temperatures and spit ice cubes. :thumbsup:
Would I do it again ... NO F*****g Way. :no:
My guns give up after -10 :censored:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
My limit from years of experience was 10f.

Now have I worked in colder? Yep, and lost money doing so, just not worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts