Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

I'm forming/pouring a coldroom/front porch with steps this coming week. I was thinking of doing it all in one pour.. walls and slab/steps as the HO doesn't really want an overhanging slab.

It's been a long time since I've done formwork, and back in the day we were doing full foundations and the slab/steps were always poured later.

I'm confident enough in forming the whole thing at once, but thought I'd see if it was just generally a bad idea, or any caveats around hitting it all at once. I'd hopefully get a mix on site truck to give me a bit more flexibility time-wise. But I can't think of much else I might need to consider.

Thanks! Mike

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
What my mentor kept telling me,

"Only put down as much concrete as you can finish"

I can understand the money savings of pouring at the sametime but you had better make sure you have the Varsity concrete crew on deck. You can use a evoporate retarder to give you more finish time, but sometimes less is more. Because I would cost a ton to fix if the pour goes to heck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a lot of concrete to finish. The slab is 5x6 and there are 5 steps. I was thinking of two pours just for simplicity, and minimizing blowouts.. but less concerned about blowouts at this point. another 3-4 steps to pour just on ground. So not a crazy amount Just me and a helper.

HO is more interested in a smooth and simple finish. Two slabs mean a crack will appear on the walls of the porch unless I overhang it and make the crack a feature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts