Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any 1 else have a problem with cold air entering the intake of the vent?

i have a gas fireplace that vents out the top, then through the wall.

everything is insulated, but gets really cold(you could keep your beer cold by letting it sit next to the FP)

even with the pilot light on there isnt enough heat to counter all the cold air

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
idk if pics will help

everything is insulated, the fp is flush with the ext wall and hangs out from the house. the "doghouse" is all insulated(walls and ceiling) with r13 in walls and prolly r 50 in the ceiling of doghouse.

the floor has about 16" on insulation. i really cant feel any air coming in from anywhere, and all the joints in the vent are caulked

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would see it air is actually coming in and keep in mind that the vent on the outside is letting air into the burn chamber behind the glass. As the air circulates in and out the glass and the rest of the metal will get cold and feel cold in the house.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would see it air is actually coming in and keep in mind that the vent on the outside is letting air into the burn chamber behind the glass. As the air circulates in and out the glass and the rest of the metal will get cold and feel cold in the house.
Exactly. I had a direct vent gas fireplace in my last house. I'd never install another one in my own home. Unless the thing was burning, you couldn't sit near the glass over the firebox in the winter. For as much as I used it, non-vented would have been adequate.

I don't think there's anything you can do, other than run it, to keep the area warm.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
If your chimney chase is cantilevered, check under it make sure it is enclosed properly.
Sometimes combustion air pipe are not installed properly and could come apart which will cause leaking cold air into the chamber.
I would check outside first and make sure everything is sealed tight on the exterior surface.

·
Moderngasproducts.com
25 Posts
I know this thread is old but the reality is, if the "doghouse" and or cantilever chase is insulated properly many direct vent systems will still radiate the cold down the pipe to the firebox. In many cases the standing pilot cannot overcome the cold. Most new DV fireplaces are coming with a cold climate pilot which may or may not help the situation. Most that I have encountered have been poor insulation. We attempt to convince our clientsto buy furnace rated units that will actually provide heat to the home and be aestetically pleasing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts