Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, my heat pump system in installed in the ceiling of my home which i dont like in the first place however they placed the cold air return in the ceiling of my living room near the thermostat, in the winter while the rest of the house stays warm the living room feels like a meat freezer, do any of you think i should have the cold air return moved down on the wall near the floor and could i use flex to do it with or am i going to have to pay someone to make a sheet metal duct, it is a 2 ton unit with a 14 x24 cold air return opening thanks for any help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it's pretty common for the return to be located near the t-stat. Where are the supplies? Has the system been balanced? I just renovated a house and the 2nd floor all HVAC came from ceiling and the first floor came from basement. I think this is common too, at least around here as any resi jobs I've been on with duct work were set up this way.
It was the HVAC guy who told me to locate the t-stat near the return on the first floor because there was only one return.
May just need balancing. From what I gather, you want the supplies on exterior walls and returns on interior walls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The registers are in the ceiling(1 story house) its the return air in the ceiling which i think should be nearer the floor, since heat rises youd want the warmer air pulled toward the floor correct?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The registers are in the ceiling(1 story house) its the return air in the ceiling which i think should be nearer the floor, since heat rises youd want the warmer air pulled toward the floor correct?

Yep you want the cold air that is around your feet taken away and replaced with the warm air around your ceiling. All it's doing at the moment is recirculating the hot air and causing a hot and cold zone.

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
I have a question similar to the OP. I have one cold air return for my whole house. How common is that? My house is only 900sq ft and has 4 registers (two of which are two sided). If I add a cold air return in a room in which it is often cold will that make the room warm? Should I start a whole new thread?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have a question similar to the OP. I have one cold air return for my whole house. How common is that? My house is only 900sq ft and has 4 registers (two of which are two sided). If I add a cold air return in a room in which it is often cold will that make the room warm? Should I start a whole new thread?
Thats not uncommon from what i have seen. our 2000sqft house only has one. The house im working in at the moment thats about 3000sqft only has one. Your prob best posting in the HVAC section but i would have thought it wouldnt make to much difference in a house that size. I have been in houses where doors would push there self closed from the amount of air moving from the outlets to a single return and then the room would have zero flow because of the doors being closed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think it's uncommon. But when you only have one return, be careful about replacing interior doors. When you only have one, the doors are cut shorter so that the return can suck air from the rooms.

My house in New Hampton is 4037s ft, they have several returns on the upstairs unit, but just one on the downstairs unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts