Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to run 220V 30A to a water heater? The Circuit box is outside and about 25 feet from the water heater. I presume I could use 2 wire plus ground #10 cable. Do I need to use conduit? Will plastic conduit suffice?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Use conduit outside. Use raintight fittings. If you come out of the top of your panel use a Meyers hub to keep water out of your panel. If you come out of the side use a sealing locknut on the inside of the panel. PVC is legit. Would have to know wattage to know wire/breaker ampacity. Typical home with electric water heater would be 220v, 30a. Three #10 conductors, black, red, green. (Hot, Hot, Ground) If you have metal water pipe make sure it is bonded to equipment ground in panel. When in doubt, hire a pro. Money well spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unregistered said:
Use conduit outside. Use raintight fittings. If you come out of the top of your panel use a Meyers hub to keep water out of your panel. If you come out of the side use a sealing locknut on the inside of the panel. PVC is legit. Would have to know wattage to know wire/breaker ampacity. Typical home with electric water heater would be 220v, 30a. Three #10 conductors, black, red, green. (Hot, Hot, Ground) If you have metal water pipe make sure it is bonded to equipment ground in panel. When in doubt, hire a pro. Money well spent.
=============
Thanks for the quick, candid, and professional response. I may not do the work, but at least I'll know what has to be done. Aloha & Best Wishes. Fred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts