Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contractor
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the NKBA recommendation for a landing area of 12" and 15" on the sides of a cooktop. Is there a code requirement for this as well?

I'm designing a kitchen where the client wants to install granite in place of the formica and retain a 36" cooktop in an island but the landing on one side would be minimal (~2").

Are there any other concerns I may be missing?

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's per appliance spec. - and more directed at flammable materials vs. convenience of landing area.

I always try and leave 24" on either side - but depending on the room it doesn't always work out.

Then there's the flip side - We're going to be doing a LaCanche with about 2.5" clearance on either side to full-height, full depth Hafele Pullout units. The boxes will be clad in tile and its doors are going to be hemmed/seamed stainless steel.

Checked, and we'll pass.

Not what I would want, but he's a "restless" homeowner who builds and sells every couple of years. He has done this "freestanding old-European" look a few times - and apparently (from a number or sources) it's always a showstopper of a detail.

I wouldn't try it with a GE slide-in with micro/hood above it, though.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Code (at least not the IRC or IBC variants) are NOT concerned with cabinetry and such unless the manufacturer states in their literature that it must be installed with a certain landing area.

Andy.
I fixed it for you, Andy. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,278 Posts
Landing, no landing, you're good either way as long as it's installed by manufacturer's specs. If you wind up with a 12" or greater landing, that's an outlet to be added, but it sounds liek you way away from that.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Like everyone said the only code is to adhere to manufacturers instructions and have a copy on site.

I did a kitchen with a LaCanche once, I doubt to this day if the ovens were ever turned on. For all of that money I thought the ovens were small, but I was told only Americans cook large birds.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like everyone said the only code is to adhere to manufacturers instructions and have a copy on site.

I did a kitchen with a LaCanche once, I doubt to this day if the ovens were ever turned on. For all of that money I thought the ovens were small, but I was told only Americans cook large birds.

We've got 4 in the works right now with either LaCanche or La Cornue. And with the exception of one of them - which will get a ton of use, they will each be in kitchens for show, rather than function.

To emphasize that point -
one of the kitchen's has the refrigerator in the adjoining room (pantry).
Another's kitchen has a glass-front Sub Zero, refrigerator-ONLY. No freezer. Which will be, again, located in another room.

These are purely decisions based upon aesthetic considerations ONLY.

Kinda sucks for ice, if you ask me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts