Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to decide which code book(s) to buy:
IBC, IRC, IEBC, IBC Commentary ...or....? :eek:

I generally replace/repair windows and doors in mostly residential, but some commercial and multi-family. Occasionally I do general remodeling, too, but windows & doors is my priority.

I've got the general gist that IBC is for multifam and commercial up to 3 stories (what code book addresses MORE than 3 stories..not that it matters), IRC is rez up to 2 fams. IEBC is remodeling/preserving existing structures, I think. City code guy is using 2009 IBC Commentary, but I see in researching there's at least a 20012 with some newer 2015 updates(?).

Thanks all!

·
Eater of sins.
4,569 Posts
Depends on what you will be doing.

The IBC is for engineered design in reality, for multi-family and commercial.

The IRC for prescriptive residential as you said.

You don't even have to buy any books, there are sources on-line for free to see the codes. You have to know which one is the one you will need plus any local amendments to the code.
I could look up what you are under but I don't want to do your work for you and I am sure you don't want me to either.

Andy.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
The IRC for me. Nothing beats the real book, call me old fashion but it sucks trying to find chit on the computer version. I'm sure others will disagree because of cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
With the internet now, all you have to do is search the AHJ on your job and it tells you what they expect along with localized amendments.

No one code book will be the end all be all ever again, but at least we can check what is required after hours now. (Which is usually when we small contractors do our paperwork)

I would never spend the money on a code book (NEC excepted) since as fast as you learn it, they change everything.:blink:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
With the internet now, all you have to do is search the AHJ on your job and it tells you what they expect along with localized amendments.

No one code book will be the end all be all ever again, but at least we can check what is required after hours now. (Which is usually when we small contractors do our paperwork)

I would never spend the money on a code book (NEC excepted) since as fast as you learn it, they change everything.:blink:
I like having it in my truck during state inspections. We have some real ass's for state inspectors here and I've proved him wrong more then once (in a kind way of course) Especially with some of the exceptions in the book. It's hard to see a tab or phone outside when getting a deck inspected. All mobile homes in Cali are state controlled.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,756 Posts
Check this out.

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/oregon/

There are other sites that let you print the parts you want or the entire book(s) also but you'll have to hunt that up as I've misplaced the website, also just noticed that some of these books look dated but I found those just by typing in 'What building code is Oregon under'; good luck hunting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll spring for the 2012 IBC Commentary and do the rest online. Just reading a few pages of that book helped explain the WHY of a bunch of rules. Helps me remember them a lot better and understand the reasoning. Cool book! City uses '09, but screw em. I'm getting the '12. Saw there's now some 2015 updates by the ICC just released. yipee. (nope)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ask the local B/O. As of July, the State of Oregon is using new books. DO NOT get ICC books. Get the amended 2014 Code based on the 2012 ICC code. I got my 2014 OFC and 2014 OMC from Builder's Book Inc. 800.273.7375 They are not cheap, but how can you do your trade if you are not sure what does and does not meet code. Besides, it is fun to catch the B/O making mistakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts