Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how I can access files and even programs from at least 2 different computers.

I know for files I can use drop box but I think I still need to have programs on both my computers.

Is there a internet based way of having the programs online also?

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
I would go to a RAID 1 Server on XP PRO or Windows 7. then all the LAN clients would resource one shared folder (you can network share w/ windows the Shared folders as long as the computer's on).

Back to the Server, it has an fttp location, to make that available on the www, I am having a metal block but security's and issue and if I remember I'll post or someone will jump in before then.

·
Design Build
8,227 Posts
I use Drop Box between my PC, iMac, and iPhone. 2GB for free and they are all sharing the same sync'd folders in the DropBox cloud. It is very useful when I need access to files on the go.

I met with a guy the other day and showed him something on my iPhone. He needed a copy so from DropBox, I sent him a unique URL to that file in an email. He d/l'd it and had his own copy in under 30 seconds.

http://www.dropbox.com/

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
I use Drop Box between my PC, iMac, and iPhone. 2GB for free and they are all sharing the same sync'd folders in the DropBox cloud. It is very useful when I need access to files on the go.

I met with a guy the other day and showed him something on my iPhone. He needed a copy so from DropBox, I sent him a unique URL to that file in an email. He d/l'd it and had his own copy in under 30 seconds.

http://www.dropbox.com/
I use Dropbox as well. But he keeps saying "programs" rather than "files". I took that to mean he wanted to be able to access his Quickbooks or something from more than one place.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use Dropbox as well. But he keeps saying "programs" rather than "files". I took that to mean he wanted to be able to access his Quickbooks or something from more than one place.
Yep that is right. So I do not need the program that created the file to open the file and modify it.

With any other system it seems I need to leave both computers on all the time. I prefer not to leave them on all the time if possible.

I guess I could you drop box and put the programs on each computer, just thought there may be a way around that.

Web based programs would be great. Then I could be on any computer, Android phone or whatever and work on things.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your input.
I'll probably end up using drop box and loading the program on the necessary computers.

·
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
1,074 Posts
Question valid but title a little misleading

The question was good but using the phrase "cloud based computing" was a little of a distortion of what others may think of it as. I hope this reference doesn't come across as too technical but here it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
The key thing is that users no longer need knowledge of, expertise in, or control over the technology infrastructure "in the cloud" that supports them.
I do promote Cloud Computing when people sign up to use our platform for contractors since all they need is access to the Internet.
Best wishes.
Brian Javeline

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Depending on what "programs" your running there are generally online versions you can use. Office, Quick books, etc. all have online versions. So you don't need to have the software on every computer. Look into the packages you use and see if there is an online offering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Google Docs

You can now use google docs to store any type of file format. I have been using docs for about two years now and have all my trade contractors used to the way the file sharing works. Cuts way down on "file sending" email traffic. IMHO currently the best solution out there.

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a construction cloudware system. It gives me access to all of my project management documentation, and all I need is a computer with an internet access. And it does not have to be my computer, I could be a the public library. Well I wouldn't be at the library but I think you get the idea.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wondering how I can access files and even programs from at least 2 different computers.

I know for files I can use drop box but I think I still need to have programs on both my computers.

Is there a internet based way of having the programs online also?
You can access files and even applications from two computers but you will run in to trouble if you want to access and make changes to the same file at the same time because when one computer makes a change and save's it and the other computer then makes a change the change made by the first computer can overwrite it and delete it.

Google's gmail suite of tools would be a low cost option for having programs on line. There are other companies that offer more specialized programs on line. They are called Application Service Providers aka ASP's. If you want to use things like Excel or Word its usually cheaper to just buy copies and install them. If its something more advanced and expensive then look at an ASP.

For accessing your own server applications at your office you will need to have high speed data lines or can look at product offerings by GotomyPC or Citrix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts