Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a siding guy by trade, but I have done a lot of framing. I know what to do if somebody tells me what to do. For instance, most car ports I have closed up we use 6 or 8 in cinder blocks to raise the wall 16" up. The brick columns (1'x1') in my car port are 8 feet apart. I was thinking I could use 4" blocks with rebar every 16 in. I do not know if that would work. Also, one of my builders recommended that I put the cinder blocks leaving 4 1/2 inches in from the outside of the columns for brick on the bottom. Wouldn't that leave siding being between the brick columns? Unless my mudsill goes over the brick also which means i need to use a 2x8? Any help or advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Hi,
I am a siding guy by trade, but I have done a lot of framing. I know what to do if somebody tells me what to do. For instance, most car ports I have closed up we use 6 or 8 in cinder blocks to raise the wall 16" up. The brick columns (1'x1') in my car port are 8 feet apart. I was thinking I could use 4" blocks with rebar every 16 in. I do not know if that would work. Also, one of my builders recommended that I put the cinder blocks leaving 4 1/2 inches in from the outside of the columns for brick on the bottom. Wouldn't that leave siding being between the brick columns? Unless my mudsill goes over the brick also which means i need to use a 2x8? Any help or advice would be helpful.
Then you don't know what to do....:no:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,
I guess I am asking what is the difference be between an 8" cinder block and a 4"? The walls will hold very little weight. It will not tip over if i push on it with the rebar, I just do not understand why on other car ports they always used 6" and 8" blocks. I am closing up my personal car port and do not feel like spending over 5 thousand dollars. I was thinking of just doing the cinder blocks and studs flush to the columns so my sheathing and siding would hide the brick columns. I would probably put paint to make cinder blocks and columns on the bottom the same color. I personally do nto like having the colomns show on these rooms, and I have gone as far as wrapping them on others peoples houses for free. I just wanted anothers framers opinion (other than my friends).

·
Pro
506 Posts
Hi,
you should put your brick flush with your sheathing and you mudsill should be countersunk into the cinder blocks 6 or 8 in. the your 1'x1' piers should line up with the house and the carport and use 2x8. For instance, 8 feet apart. put your rebar between your builder friend and your non-builder friend and see which one falls over laughing first.

and incoherent question can only get an incoherent answer :thumbup:

·
Design Build
5,524 Posts
Hi,
Why is this in the framing section?

I'm seeing a lot of words that sound like masonry or concrete work.

This place is for wood.....

....see wood........get wood.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Well,
I guess I am asking what is the difference be between an 8" cinder block and a 4"? The walls will hold very little weight. It will not tip over if i push on it with the rebar, I just do not understand why on other car ports they always used 6" and 8" blocks. I am closing up my personal car port and do not feel like spending over 5 thousand dollars. I was thinking of just doing the cinder blocks and studs flush to the columns so my sheathing and siding would hide the brick columns. I would probably put paint to make cinder blocks and columns on the bottom the same color. I personally do nto like having the colomns show on these rooms, and I have gone as far as wrapping them on others peoples houses for free. I just wanted anothers framers opinion (other than my friends).
In these parts we use concrete blocks
for foundation work, haydite soaks up
too much water.
Haven't seen cinder blocks used for
40-50 years.
Where are you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am from Virginia. All the masonry work I have done was with this hispanic guy who spoke broken english with even less of the proper terms. He called cinder blocks the concrete blocks that make an 8 if that makes sense. That leaves me room to stick rebar in the slab through the blocks and then I will fill the spaces. The car port already has a slab. I have seen people just putting a double mud sill on the slab with this foam stuff between concrete and wood. They made a faux floor so that the floor doesn't stay get to cold during winter, but I do not feel comfortable doing this on my own. I am just sticking to the way I was taught rather than trying to trying to reinvent the wheel ( or learn somebody else's method). Thanks for the help though.
Sorry if this belonged in the masonry forum. I have only sub contracted with four of the same builders over 5 years. The only subs that work for all the builders are the siding guys (me) and the framers. The framers usually are responsible for most of the foundation walls. I didn't even think to putting foundations questions in the masonry forum.

·
Sean
5,496 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts