Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, you gave a solid presentation,the homeowners liked you and the product but they could not be closed in one day,they just were'nt that type of couple.
you call in a few days,they are still thinking about it. the more time that passes,the more their enthusiasm diminishes. they then tell you they just suffered a "set back". their car unexpectedly broke down and they shelled out alot of money to fix it.
you know they need your product, you know they liked your product and your company.
however,people procrastinate when it comes to a big purchase so sheeling out money for a car was their excuse to put it off again..
what do you say to counter the "we just shelled out money to fix our car" excuse?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
What type of sale are we talking about - windows or a new addition with a kitchen?

I'd probably let it be, if they like your proposal and product that much, they will contact you when they have the funds.

Follow-up periodically with a letter or email.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
You can't squeeze blood out.....

of a rock!

It depends of whether or not the customer is telling the truth. You need to use good judgment. When you think the customer is telling the truth you can mention payment terms, but your probability of never getting paid is high. If they don't have a bucket of money today they probably won't have it in the near future. Do more marketing so you don't have to worry about people without money.

When the customer is using the car for an excuse for procrastinating, and they really do have the money, you failed somewhere in your presentation. Start the entire presentation from the beginning. You would love it if every customer gave you a split-second decision, but many customers need only a few more minutes to process your information and give you the job. You buy this time buy starting the presentation over.

I purposely used improper grammar.

Customer: "Well, I can't do the job right now because my tranny is on the blink and the mechanic beat you my bank."

Contractor: "Yes, I understand. You need your wheels to get to work, so lets make sure we are on the same page so whether you do this job now or later....." Then you start from the beginning.

One reason customers won't sign a contract is because we seldom think about the problems our jobs create for the customer. A small list of problems we create:

the customer may not be ready to be mentally challenged with:
worrying
planning
dust
noise
visiting relatives
pets
intrusion

Try to listen and read the between the lines.

Promise, to the customer, many times:

yoiu will be super clean

you will work straight through without breaking to go to other jobs

the job will goes fast, smoothly with absolutely, and with absolutely no problems.

the work will be done very meticulously

the customer won't pay one penny until after you are 100% finished and they are 100% satisfied.

These solve the customer's problems and puts the customer at ease.

As you are talking, you are buying more time for the customer to make a decision and you are putting the customer at ease.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The truth is there is NEVER a good time to make improvements. There will always be something that comes up.

You have to create a sense of urgency or the homeowner will put it off forever. The car today, the kid's tuition next year, etc.

"Wow, John. Sorry to hear about the car. What happened? How are you going to go about fixing it?"--This tells you 1. If he's lying. Customers would rather lie than just tell you NO sometimes. 2. If he's gonna buy a new one, fix the one he has, finance or pay cash.

"What kind of hurdle do you feel the car breaking down created regarding being able to move forward with your project?"--This tells you what his fear is.

"Do you believe you're going to have this improvement done in the lifetime of your existence in your home?"--This tells you his level of personal need and desire.

"In a perfect world when would you have this project done?"--this tells you his timeline and makes sure his answer to the last question is congruent.

"I noticed a little hesitancy to get this thing moving even before the car broke down. What was on your mind, other than the car, that didn't get us together sooner?"--This hopefully weeds out any unknown objections.

Now you mush it all together.

"I'm sorry to hear that your transmission went out John. I think you're decision to just buy a new car is the best bet on that one. You mentioned that you know you're definitely going to have the remodel done at some point in your existence there and would like to have it done sooner than later. Most people agree with you and many find that as they wait something ALWAYS comes up and that usually includes the price of the project. (Wait for him to agree) Now I know you're concerned about having to pay cash for one project and that you'd have to finance the other. You said you didn't like interest. I want you to be able to have a reliable vehicle and to improve the way you feel about and live in your home. If I was able to find a way to allow you to fit the car and your improvement into your budget and not pay interest would you be willing to let me work with you on it? I believe I have a solution right now but I don't want to spit it out if it's a waste of breath.....Blah Blah Blah"

Point is 1. Find out if they're telling the truth. 2. Find out what their fear is 3. Challenge their commitment to the project and to you. 4. Provide a sense of working together. 5. Address and solve all of his worries with a solution.

If he still doesn't buy he either didn't 1. Believe in the reputation of the company 2. Like you 3. Feel like the project was exactly what he wanted 4. Felt like it was a reasonable price, or 5. could afford it.

Good luck in the future!!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
they could not be closed in one day,they just were'nt that type of couple>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like an excuse to me. I have had people write me deposit check at the same time they were saying, I don't buy anything without thinking it through.
Now having said that, there are just some people you will never be able to close, those are the ones you leave with an estimate and a hope they will call.

I put these people in the trickle file to call every wek until they buy or tell me to stop. Until then, I keep calling or dropping in.:thumbsup:

·
Roofing sales pro
101 Posts
Well the first thing about closing. one the more you get the more get the customer saying yes the higher your chances go. Second the price is the last thing said after your presentaion, from knocking on the door to an hour to an hour and 15 minutes you have max. Looking briefly at what they have in the home tells you what they pay for and tell you what the quality they are willing to pay. Third Prequalifing the customer lets you know more about what you are walking into than anything else. Back to the nu,ber its just a number whatever it is 5k 20k. that must be remebered or your at a disadvatage. once the number is stated the last perosn that talks loses. There is a time to be agressive and there is a tim to be passive. The customer will give you every thing you need to know on how to close them, back to the more they say yes. Intermixing closings do this for you. After the number is given its a full court press. Then its time to be aggesive. Passive in the begining, listen and keep you mouth shut 60% of the time. Listening will give you the advantage along with your prequalifing it will tell you everything you need to know on what is the key to closing the sale. You must have atleast 10 different closes for this to be even a possiblity. Then we go into the objections they say. If you can remeber the answers to the quesions then you have them cornered. Some people need to be pushed some dont but you must know that in like 5 minutes in the start of the conversation. You need to figure out the decison maker and work with them a little more since they make the decisions. What ever it throw at you you must be cool calm and collected, you also must know your numbers very well. i dont even write the price on the contract, and i hope you have a double transfering contract so everyone gets a copy. Closing is an artform that takes time to get good at. Reguardless of what you do. Some things are easier to sell than others. Offering finacing is small help but you must have that done and known in pre qualifing. This tells you either 2 things, they have tried before and been turned down atleast 1 time and they do not have the money, and second it tells you bluntly no so they have the money period to do the job, im not a fan of getting deposits for 2 reasons, 1 it builds trust amd we all know thats the name of the game, they dont trust you it's a lost deal. Basically they have to like you, or you are not getting the sale and brings me to the folder, it must bee full of information you go over, both home owners need to there since there should be alot of info brought to the table. There is more to this but its a basic rule i have used for years.

·
Roofing sales pro
101 Posts
Um as far as the way i do it, its at your price, number is just a number. I dont sell cheap by any means. Im normally the high guy or middle guy. never have been low and never will be. But if you know your number you do have some wiggle room. something is better than nothing. Im getting the feeling you silike the way i do things?

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Hey GTP, welcome to this site. I have found this site to be very useful and your extremely successful selling techniques will be well recieved here. ( As long as you use proper grammer)

GTP does have very good techniques for helping to close sales. His advice is usually very well thought out and useful (unless he is crabby).

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
He may have very good ideas.
Unfortunately I couldn't read the whole response.

Please put some paragraphs or indents every now and then.
My old eyes were having a hard time with it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Hah I know, I did not read it either because of that but he once sent me a list of very helpful ideas and new ways to approach different situations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts