Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what techniques everyone else uses to close the sale. I was with my brother the other day doing a window estimate. I usually end my presentation with "do you think our service is something you'll be interested in?". Some advised me not to close this way because it opens doors for customers to say NO.

We close about 30% of all our sales on the spot. For the ones we dont close, we call our customers back after 1 or 2 weeks and about 30-50% of them go with us that way.

Roofing/Siding/Windows/Gutters

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like to assume the sale. I ask them "How do you want to pay, check or credit card?
Another great close is "Mr Jones i am going to need your signature right here."
If they balk i act very suprised and say," I'm confused!" You said you love our product, and you love our warranty, i must assume its price. Is that correct?"

One of the best closes goes as following:
Right before you present the price, you say the following:
" Do you have any questions?" they typically say no.
"Then is there any doubt that my company or products can meet or exceed your expectations?" Typically they say no.
"Does our warranty meet or exceed your expectations?" Typically they say yes.
"Then the only reason we couldn't do business today is price right?"

You are always trying to get it too price. You can deal with price.
Also if you do not have a first time discount you are shooting yourself in the foot! You must create urgency and an incentive to do business today!!
All the major home improvement chains that do over 15 million a year plus use a first time discount!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I am curious to know what techniques everyone else uses to close the sale. I was with my brother the other day doing a window estimate. I usually end my presentation with "do you think our service is something you'll be interested in?". Some advised me not to close this way because it opens doors for customers to say NO.

We close about 30% of all our sales on the spot. For the ones we dont close, we call our customers back after 1 or 2 weeks and about 30-50% of them go with us that way.

Roofing/Siding/Windows/Gutters

I would say you are either damn good.Or too cheap closing 60-80% of all leads you run?

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I like to assume the sale. I ask them "How do you want to pay, check or credit card?
If they balk i act very suprised and say," I'm confused!" You said you love our product, and you love our warranty, i must assume its price. Is that correct?"

"Then is there any doubt that my company or products can meet or exceed your expectations?" Typically they say no.

Also if you do not have a first time discount you are shooting yourself in the foot! You must create urgency and an incentive to do business today!!
All the major home improvement chains that do over 15 million a year plus use a first time discount!
Roofman, not to pick on you specifically, but I think you are offering a couple of closes that are commonly used in our industry. You just listed 2 specific closes and an overall policy that make the price the objection. I think a lot of us do that.

Fast forward now. The sale went to another concern and the contractor gets on a forum and complains that everybody is price shopping and he can't make any money at these rates. Who brought it up?

Never tell the customer why they are not buying, let them tell you. Mouth closed, ears open. Listen for objections without creating them.

You are always trying to get to an agreement, not the price.

We don't sell 15m a year and don't need a canned sales script. Our sales calls are more conversational and interactive. I can't give you one line that we always or mostly use because there isn't one. Sometimes the client closes by asking where to sign. Sometimes we might simply state that all we need is a scheduling deposit to get them on our calendar.

Whatever closing technique you use, don't include a ready made objection.

Good Luck
Dave

·
J Meloche
109 Posts
"One of the best closes goes as following:
"Then the only reason we couldn't do business today is price right?""

i strongly disagree with this. this approach is textbook old school thinking and makes customers feel pigeon-holed and backed into a corner; not a position you want your prospect in. these days, they have WAY too many options for contractors and they will go with someone else that doesn't employ the "hard close".

additionally, it's not at all true that you always want the discussion to come down to price. unless, of course, that is what you are selling on. some of us do not wish to have price be the determining factor.

i, personally, do not want to compete on price. why? because anyone with a heartbeat can come in at a lower price than me. conversely, not everyone can offer the same level of creative expertise that i can. you'll want the conversation to come down to the one factor that you can almost always win on, whatever that factor might be.

·
Concrete Mike
285 Posts
Here in cleveland ohio i have been selling home improvement for about 15 years with about a 80% to 90% closing. One thing i have learned is to combat the other sales man with using there speach against them. Remember when someone calls you they are about 99% sure the want the product, so you need to sell on expertise,product,quality and knowledge. You need to put together a sales combat stratagy on how to market you and your service. If you would like to talk email me at [email protected]. I am not selling my advice, but i like to help people out. My sales % proves it works.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I understand that everyone has their own ways and techniques to close the sale.
I think that with the average howmeowner getting 3+ estimates today, you need to give them a reason to buy. I am not talking about high pressure, i am talking about asking for the job today and making an incentive to do so.
Example, why is it that Kroger will have ham on sale for .99 cents a pound this week and next week its $1.99 per pound.
They are trying to move some ham and they want to buy it now!
In todays day and age everyone and i mean everyone wants a deal or to feel that they got a deal.
Home improvement is notorious for this.
I see coupons in our local mailer for one thousand dollars off a new roof!
Does anyone in our industry actually believe that they are taking one thousand dollars off of their profit? Of course not.
Homeowners want quality, value and price.
On average i recieve $1,500 to $2,000 more per roof. I build value, then give them an incentive or reason to do business today!
If you like to go back then thats great. I like to sell the day im there.
Just my style not saying its for everyone!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Good ole RRick Grasso:clap:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Frankly I think one of the most powerful closes is the I don't give a .... close. People hate take aways..So we simply take the deal off the table and make them ask for it back ...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is something that i would like to know what everyones thoughts are.
When you give a presentation and then a price and the homeowner says,"Thank you very much! We like what we see and we will talk about it and be in touch!"
What do you think the homeowner is really saying?
Let's see what kind of answers we get!! :thumbup:

·
www.magicpoolservices.com
831 Posts
When you give a presentation and then a price and the homeowner says,"Thank you very much! We like what we see and we will talk about it and be in touch!"

You didnt ask the right questions to probe to get to their goals.
Not knocking you, but you asked an opinion.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

If they're saying that you didn't do the demo right and it's too late

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
""

could you give us an example of this sort of close?
Right now we have a sale going on, but I'm not sure you qualify.

There's a way we can save you a substantial amount of money but from what you told me I don't think you'd be interested, would you?

The point is to get them to ask you to close them

·
Registered
111 Posts
"One of the best closes goes as following:
"Then the only reason we couldn't do business today is price right?""

i strongly disagree with this. this approach is textbook old school thinking and makes customers feel pigeon-holed and backed into a corner; not a position you want your prospect in. these days, they have WAY too many options for contractors and they will go with someone else that doesn't employ the "hard close".

additionally, it's not at all true that you always want the discussion to come down to price. unless, of course, that is what you are selling on. some of us do not wish to have price be the determining factor.

i, personally, do not want to compete on price. why? because anyone with a heartbeat can come in at a lower price than me. conversely, not everyone can offer the same level of creative expertise that i can. you'll want the conversation to come down to the one factor that you can almost always win on, whatever that factor might be.
I agree and will usually right off someone who uses this approach to sell me something.

My experience is that people do not want to be sold.
They want a trusted advisor that will guide them to their goals.

Open ended questions are a good way to probe.
:thumbsup:
If they're saying that you didn't do the demo right and it's too late
Not necessarily. I almost always wait to commit to a sale. I want to see who else is out there and what their pricing is on whatever it is I am purchasing, then I like to weigh quality, price and service and determine which is the best value to me.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Right now we have a sale going on, but I'm not sure you qualify.

"There's a way we can save you a substantial amount of money but from what you told me I don't think you'd be interested, would you?

The point is to get them to ask you to close them
"

ok,they will probably ask why they don't qualify..what do you then say?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
"

ok,they will probably ask why they don't qualify..what do you then say?

Sales are designed to save money and they always have a finite time line The purpose is this timeline is to help you make a decsion sooner than later. I'm sure you've seens these sales before, right?

However you stated earlier that you were planning to make a deision later rather than sooner. The sale I could offer you is no different in this respect, but it ends this Friday and you did say that's too soon.

then shut up.. What are they going to say next?

·
Banned
658 Posts
thats actually a good one. i do like it. it puts the customer on the defensive and also prompts them to prove themselves to you that they do qualify for the sale.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts