Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m kind of retired but still do a closet or two a month. I measure and usually do a drawing of the closet for estimating and client approval. I would love to have software that would make it a whole lot easier to draw and price. But since I don’t do it enough to justify buying one of the good closet programs, is there any other programs out there that are good for closet design and fit my budget?thanks

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
286 Posts
Sketchup is a pretty economical solution. They have a free version and pro version. The pro version isn't too much and gives you the ability to produce nice drawings if needed through their included Layout program.

·
Registered
Custom
13,011 Posts
Most guys don't get what they need because they think THEY'RE paying for it... they're not, their customers are... while there are free programs out there, there's no reason not to get the one you want or think can service your customers best...

If you're doing 1-2 jobs a month, simply pass along the cost of the program that you WANT to use to the customers.... Let's sat it's a subscription service that costs you $50-$100/month, just like every other Cost Of Doing Business, you'd simply divide it by the expected number of customers you'd have and add it to the cost of their project as an admin fee... maybe add 20% for the variance in number of customers... you still make the same amount of money, and with a better program add an arrow to your quiver of credibility and presentation... customers not going to flinch at a $50-$100 admin cost on a couple thousand closet system...

Even if it was a one time cost for the program like Mr. Stop mentioned for Pro Version of Sketchup, it gets passed along to the customer...

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Sketchup by itself is terrible for closets, takes way to long to draw the shelving and modifications are time consuming. There are a few sketchup based dynamic programs out there one is Cabwriter, I can't think of the others right now but they also use dynamic components which saves time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cabwriter is an extension to Sketchup. Ill will look into it this weekend. I'm getting tired of drafting them. heh...too cheap to make the plunge.
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts