Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys putting in your closets? Closets are roughed in with a 14/2 wire stubbed out above the door.

For a closet 26" deep x 48" wide would a single 36" fluorescent be a good option? To much light or not enough?

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
Seems to never be too much light. I recently added lighting to a 10' long reach-in closet that has two sets of double doors (48" openings each). I put a 4' T-8 over each opening. I think it could be even brighter, but they love it.

So that 36" sounds like a good option.

In another walk-in closet (6' x 6'), the clients wanted me to remove a ceiling globe and install a halogen bar over the door with 3 spots. That turned out to give off too much heat and not enough light. We kept it AND put the ceiling globe back in place. Perfect.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,567 Posts
Open lamps are not allowed.

Reactions: plummen

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Seems to never be too much light. I recently added lighting to a 10' long reach-in closet that has two sets of double doors (48" openings each). I put a 4' T-8 over each opening. I think it could be even brighter, but they love it.

So that 36" sounds like a good option.

In another walk-in closet (6' x 6'), the clients wanted me to remove a ceiling globe and install a halogen bar over the door with 3 spots. That turned out to give off too much heat and not enough light. We kept it AND put the ceiling globe back in place. Perfect.
NEC 410 contains the requirements and disallowances of lighting in closets. The halogen lights may have been a big no-no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts